• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Do you think you'll still play CMx1
05-23-2011, 09:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-23-2011, 10:04 AM by Mad Baron.)
RE: Do you think you'll still play CMx1
I will always play the original (and have a Probe QB game going right now)! CMBO was the best tactical-level wargame I'd played up to that time (I really loved the earlier Close Combat series for many reasons, including troops you carried forward to the next battle, etc., but wasn't real crazy about real-time play, and only the overhead view it offered).

CMBO is nice in that when you need to re-install it, no patches are needed. My only (slight) complaints were with the flat terrain features (wheat, rubble, rocks, rough). But I grew up on board wargames before there were computers or video games, and I easily accepted this. My only real complaint up to now is the flat wheat appearance; I still don't know what months the wheat is still growing, at least offering concealment but no cover, and what months the wheat is considered harvested (or flat) offering little or nothing to cover or concealment.

In short, CMBO doesn't offer state-of-the-art graphics...but it is still a heck of a game, and would still be King if CMBB and CMAK hadn't come along!

cheers
I also like the additional elevation views that BB and AK offer when viewing the map. When I play CMBO, I try for a higher elevation and it jumps to the overhead view...haha. And I say to myself, Oh, right, not that many levels offered with BO. :cheeky:
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Do you think you'll still play CMx1 - by Splork - 05-16-2011, 01:56 PM
RE: Do you think you'll still play CMx1 - by Mad Baron - 05-23-2011, 09:47 AM