• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

June Scenario of the Month
06-09-2011, 07:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2011, 07:29 AM by Kool Kat.)
RE: June Scenario of the Month
Gents: :smoke:

I enjoyed my The Last Crusade "refresher lesson" - courtesy of Herr Ed! Ed achieved a Minor Victory against me on the last turn! :eek1:

Russian Perspective

The Russian player (attacker) has several options. I chose to conduct a sweeping flank attack against Lisels (50VP) in the North... a similar flank attack through the forest road against Radcha (50VP + 25VP) in the South... while probing and making a feint attack against the center (50VP) in an attempt to draw the Hungarian defense out and away from the towns.

Russian artillery is limited to a couple of 82mm mortars... but are effective against the Hungarian infantry... especially in open terrain. I found that executing successfully on the "bread and butter" of CS... combined arms (tank + infantry)... utilizing infantry to rout out the Hungarian defenders... and following up with armor to pound exposed positions... helped keep my Russian forces advancing. I had to watch out for Hungarian "borrowed" German equipment (e.g. 75mm AT guns & Mark IV's), but the Hungarian manufactured AFVs were inferior to Russian tanks. However, the Hungarian armor, when commanded by a skilled player like Ed, was a threat - especially against Russian infantry.

At only 10 turns, The Last Crusade is a tense, exciting, fast moving, and balanced scenario... with interesting OOBs not found in the more "traditional" Russian versus German East Front games.

I recommend it! 2x :thumbs_up: up!! Big Grin

This scenario was also featured in the "No Tournament for Old Men."
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
June Scenario of the Month - by Scud - 06-03-2011, 04:27 AM
RE: June Scenario of the Month - by Kool Kat - 06-09-2011, 07:19 AM