• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

More of my *****ing...
07-23-2011, 11:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2011, 11:31 PM by Ashcloud.)
RE: More of my *****ing...
(07-23-2011, 12:04 PM)Larry Reese Wrote: LOL, MS Word crashed and I lost some 20+ pages of book I am writing. And, of course, despite Autosave being on, the material is not actually backed up. Also, beware that auto-save does not save any files prior to a scheduled reboot (such as when auto-updates is turned on for the OS). So, if the system downloads an update, counts down 4 hours or whatever after warning the user (there or not) that the reboot will occur, it will do so without saving the current state of any document. This annoys me.

I'd also like to once again plead the case for having blocks taken into account by the autopath. This seems a simplistic failing that could turn off relatively new players.

I'd also like to offer up that German armored cars are too powerful as AAA units. None of these units have the dedicated 360 yaw and easily pitchable mount that dedicated and effective AAA units of all sides had. More over they had very limited ready-use ammo supplies and were impossible to crew by more than one person (which dedicated AAA vehicles were always assigned). While they have some AAA ability, I am unaware of any aircraft actually downed by these vehicles and feel they should be reduced somewhat in their AAA performance. If we're going to allow this type of AAA rating, why not allow it for British trucks that mounted a AAA MG on the cab?

And lastly, once again I'd like to say I think allowing a single platoon of engineers to carry enough smoke bombs to completely obscure a 200-250 meter line, essentially forever, is unrealistic. Give each engineer one or even two smoke rounds, and force the militaries of all sides to rely on what was, at the scale and time period we're using, the only effective smoke delivery system - tube artillery (though the Russians got really good at using air dropped smoke as well, particularly for river crossings).

Oh, and one more time, we need to revamp the whole artillery system. We cannot do barrages, which is silly. For example, infantry can walk up to a wall of enemy artillery, targeted on the same hex, every turn, and just walk through on their own turn when it lifts. We need to allow high rate of fire weapons, in sufficient numbers, the ability to lay persistent barrages in my opinion. Any side trying to enter the beaten zone should have to pass a morale check to make the move and then suffer an attack from the artillery.

Just my two cents dudes...

LR

PS - designers, please be mindful of placing motorized officers with infantry in terrain (hills, elevation changes, swamps, etc...) where vehicular movement is heavily restricted, or impossible. It seems to make sense that in these areas it would be more effective to put the guy on foot, since it's the only way he can keep up with the troops.

Good points all, I agree completely and hope the powers that be take notice - artillery barrages would up the realism dramatically.

Sorry for your loss Larry, I also fail to backup often enough and have paid similar prices.

Ashley
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
More of my *****ing... - by Larry Reese - 07-23-2011, 12:04 PM
RE: More of my *****ing... - by Ashcloud - 07-23-2011, 11:29 PM
RE: More of my *****ing... - by Scud - 07-24-2011, 01:26 AM
RE: More of my *****ing... - by Dragoon - 07-24-2011, 02:00 AM
RE: More of my *****ing... - by junk2drive - 07-24-2011, 02:31 AM
RE: More of my *****ing... - by kineas - 07-24-2011, 03:43 AM
RE: More of my *****ing... - by Von Earlmann - 07-24-2011, 06:55 AM
RE: More of my *****ing... - by Dan Caviness - 07-24-2011, 10:24 PM