• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Some questions about Falklands
11-01-2011, 06:02 AM,
RE: Some questions about Falklands
I'll try to tackle a few...

• Opportunity/reaction fire. I didn't find any details about OF in the user manual. However I'm surprised that an enemy unit who received mortar shells and heavy direct fire at the beginning of the turn is still able to return fire (2 or 3 times) at the end of that turn. I would have expected that the suppressing effect of my multiple fire would disable the reaction capacity of this enemy.

Suppressive fire is great, if it is effective, and not all of it is. If you are able to reduce the enemy effectiveness and status, you should see an change in the effectiveness of their fire. Disruption or Pinning is the objective here. If you don't do either, your enemy still has the ability to hit you hard. Gotta keep their heads down in order to maneuver.

• Command range. Whenever I try to show the command radius of a leader, I obtain a 1-hex range. How can we verify if a team leader is in range with his section leader, and the latter with his platoon leader, etc.?

This is all outlined in the User's Manual. Platoon/Squad leaders have a range of 1 and it goes up from there.

• Fire effects. Since any fire is directed on the whole enemy hex, not on any particular enemy unit located in that hex, does it mean that the fire have a full effect on every one of those enemy units?

Are you talking about firing on a hex with more than one squad? Basically all you're doing is firing at a certain density. If you've got 24 guys in a hex versus 12, you'll have a better shot at hitting someone, but you can't differentiate between squads. The only weapons that do differentiate would be a sniper rifle (leaders) or an AT weapon firing at armor in a mixed hex.

• Unit status. I'm not sure to fully understand the difference between a "disrupted" unit and a "pinned" unit. "Pinned" seams to have a moral content, but not "disrupted" ? I don't see either the exact effects of those two status on the unit's capacities.

Again, the main differences are in the Users manual. Pinned units are in bad shape morale-wise and can't move forward. Basically they've got their head down and can't put it up over cover to return effective fire. Disrupted have been shaken a bit, have reduced effectiveness, but can still fire and move foward.

• Objectives values. I'm sometimes disoriented by the objectives and their points value. For example, I don't understand the meaning of the 3 sea exit objectives at the very south of the Fanning Head Mob map (scenario 10) since British units can hardly get there before the end of the scenario.

Some objectives are un-reachable. A good scenario designer will put more in than can be expected to achieve, forcing the player to strategize about how to best 'win' the scenario. Most scenarios do not require every objective to be taken to win. Look at the Victory Point levels and figure out what you need to get the win. Ignore objectives that you feel you can't reach without weakening your over-all effort.

• AI performance. Does a slow AI make better decisions?

No.

• Disembarking/re-embarking. I read somewhere that a unit can disembark from a vehicle but not re-embark in that vehicle. Why?

As far as I know you can get in and out of vehicles at will. Just remember that some have Release dates, which means they leave the field of battle, especially helos. If you've got men in them when they vanish, they leave as well.

Hope this helps.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Some questions about Falklands - by moet - 10-31-2011, 01:38 AM
RE: Some questions about Falklands - by Wolfgang - 10-31-2011, 06:40 AM
RE: Some questions about Falklands - by TheBigRedOne - 11-01-2011, 06:02 AM
RE: Some questions about Falklands - by moet - 11-04-2011, 11:06 AM
RE: Some questions about Falklands - by moet - 11-05-2011, 01:53 AM
RE: Some questions about Falklands - by Wolfgang - 11-01-2011, 08:23 AM
RE: Some questions about Falklands - by Wolfgang - 11-05-2011, 02:35 AM
RE: Some questions about Falklands - by Wolfgang - 11-05-2011, 08:10 AM