• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What games are people playing??
01-11-2013, 12:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-11-2013, 12:21 AM by raz_atoth.)
RE: What games are people playing??
(01-10-2013, 09:31 PM)Westland Wrote: In CMx1, the maps but are wider and larger for 3000 and 5000 points battles.The Quickbattle maps are randomly created always by the computer.I find this better than getting the same maps in CMX2.

Each approach has it's pros and cons. It's true,the maps for QBs are auto-generated in CMx1,thus you're guaranteed you'll not fight on the same map twice. On the other hand,you won't always get quality maps. I believe we can both agree that an average map designed by a human will always be better than an average map randomly generated.
In CMx2 you don't have randomly generated maps but you have a couple of hundreds maps (about 800,CMBN+CW+CMFI ) from which QBs can be generated,all hand-drawn,so to speak.

I find the 'Huge' maps to be big enough.I haven't really came across maps in medium/large battles which weren't big enough to allow complex maneuvers.

(01-10-2013, 09:31 PM)Westland Wrote: Always the same maps you can see earlier whether or not to buy a Panther.

As i stated above,there are 800 maps and that's without counting the maps created by third party designers. You can also count,if you wish,the maps that will come with Market Garden/Bagration which probably will be released this year. I don't think this qualifies as playing on the 'same maps'. Obviously,the number of existing maps is a limitation which doesn't exists in CMx1. But it's a limitation which you'll hardly notice.

Yes,your opponent can see the map thus decide if he will buy panthers or not. But this works both ways. Having the ability to preview the map before the troops are purchased,means you can choose the right troops for the job without just guessing how the terrain will look like.

(01-10-2013, 09:31 PM)Westland Wrote: The conquest areas are better in CMx1.These flags I found better.This ominous green areas not in CMx2.

To be honest i haven't yet decided which system works better.The idea behind it is the same,the implementation is different. In both cases you need to secure an area in order to gain victory points.

(01-10-2013, 09:31 PM)Westland Wrote: Of course you can to agree with opponents to buy no panther and Tiger (Tiger in CMFI).
But that would be historicall incorrect.Panther 6000 were built.They were numerous like the Pz.IV 1944.The most Panther on the Western Front have failed through air strikes.The only weapon against Tigers and Panthers were allied air strikes.

Your point is valid. However,this behavior is not limited to just CMx2. If i'm playing a CMFI game i always agree with my opponent that no Tigers will be purchased by the axis player in MEs. Just like i agreed with my opponents in the good ol' days of CMx1 that the russian player will not purchase KVs in '41 or the axis player Tigers in '42. In both cases it's historical incorrect.

(01-10-2013, 09:31 PM)Westland Wrote: The Allied player would have to must so many aircraft.That would be realistic.
Is still a big minus point for CMx2:There are no anti-aircraft guns!

In a recent game,i had two Panthers + 1 Marders destroyed by an enemy plane with a single bomb. You can,if that's what you wish, go with a heavy air-force,in CMx2 ,just like it is possible in CMx1. And in some cases it will pay off. But,as you no doubt know,as it works the same in CMx1,airplanes are a gamble. And quite an expensive one. It can drop a bomb in the middle of the enemy tanks column and win the day.It can drop the bomb in the middle of your tanks column Smile Or,it can drop the bomb in some remote corner of the map and waste all those precious points.
If you like to gamble,in both CMx1 and CMx2 you can. Gamers usually don't like to gamble. Not in this way,at least. You won't see as many planes as it would be historically accurate simply because people will more often than not prefer to purchase assets they can directly control,not because it's a game limitation. This holds true in both CMx1 and CMx2

Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
What games are people playing?? - by Jobu88 - 01-07-2013, 04:29 AM
RE: What games are people playing?? - by Jobu88 - 01-08-2013, 11:27 AM
RE: What games are people playing?? - by Jobu88 - 01-08-2013, 11:33 PM
RE: What games are people playing?? - by raz_atoth - 01-11-2013, 12:16 AM
RE: What games are people playing?? - by Jobu88 - 03-25-2013, 08:06 AM