• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

An idea for a new class of units - medical unit types
02-03-2013, 03:28 PM,
RE: An idea for a new class of units - medical unit types
Awesome comments fellas - please keep 'em coming. Smile

I will attempt to address some of the concerns that several of you have made, one at a time.

First, I want to mention that the main purpose of the thread is (obviously) meant to gauge the club's opinion of medical class units...and IF I were to receive a generally positive response, submit a request to Jason Petho to include this class of units into the 1.05 patch.

So far, reaction to this class of units seems to be roughly two-thirds against their inclusion into our hobby. However, you have to admit, that if we are to have (as Rod Cole succinctly puts it) non-submersible submarine which can torpedo things ashore, the fleets of immobilised battleships, and cargo ships that can carry no more cargo than a truck... On-screen aircraft seem to have spawned something called the airfield bomber, which whilst never getting airborne types of units in the game, how could one not realize that the very nature of this unit is one that is not only realistic, but has (arguably) a minor effect on the game outcome?

Ok. Back to my list (your list). Here we go.

Quote:Posted by PawelM - Friday, February 1st, 2013 10:22 AM
Next after medics we will get front line enterteiners group( all dancing and singing). This will follow by spies and assasins and we get to Total war and Civilisation type game :)

I'm sorry, but that's just plain rude. I have stated before I have no intention of doing anything to the game that could cause balance issues. I believe I already stated the role of medics in my first post.

Quote: Herr Straube Laufer If medics, why not USO shows? Maybe have a bonus if the USO show contains Bob Hope?
How about "Doughnut Dollies" to help recover morale?
How about a Chaplin unit? No, not Charlie (though, he would help too!)?
We discussed "Brothel Units" on the Matrix forum.

How about negative morale?
The weather is bad. Getting trench foot when in trenches.
Positive morale?
When an air attack goes against an adjacent wagon and not the combat unit. When an artillery barrage scatters.

How about the Germans get a roll for singing Lile Marlene?

Another rude post - but I'll respond anyway. As I already stated, I am not (we are not) advocating anything that would harm our favorite hobby. What I want to know specifically is why you think medics would be impractical to use. And as I also stated, I'm well aware that officers have a morale function, but they ALSO have a command rating which improves attack for subordinate units, and ALSO improves the supply range of subordinate HQ units. So, officers can do THREE things, these proposed medical units, can do ONE thing (help with morale / disruption).

Quote:Ivan the Big If anything and what I would like to see is the old old request of improving the A/I. Its a dog and really needs some work we all know that. If anything we should focus resources on that.

Also my old old hype of combining units. The lone 1 factor Sherman platoon in a hex with a four factor Sherman platoon. The game engine should allow for combination to make a 5 factor single Sherman platoon. I'm saying combining not splitting. Splitting although interesting adds other issues that may make the engine unmanagable. The system is built on the platoon and that should be the minimum sized unit.

Finally the random battle generator needs some, no a lot of work. If you pick a bridgehead the generator should setup a random bridgehead not a face off in fields and hills. If you pick pocket breakout the random battle should setup with forces in a pocket.

I completely agree John, I would submit this to Jason as improvements needed for the future. However, it has nothing to do with medics. Big Grin Btw, would you expound upon WHY you think these types of units should not be included? I want your opinion, my good man.

Quote:Posted by K K Rossokolski - Today 01:41 AM As for medics. No way..what effect would they have except as eye candy? And I for one have ethical issues with introducing an element that by all the laws of civilised warfare are not to be targeted. In gaming terms, very difficult to set a score. How do we give a quantitative value to the destruction of say a hospital in Russia in 1943.

Ok, now this is a good post (and points made), and I must admit this threw me back a bit. I never even thought about the moral or ethical issues of putting this to JTCS - but remember - we're talking MILITARY medics here - MASH units. Not civilian hospitals. However, it does raise an important point - should we in effect, allow for the inclusion / targeting of hospitals and non-combatants?

No eye candy Rod - I already stated these units have a game function, though a relatively minor one.

Lastly - there is one obvious point I want to make - none of the current scenarios would have them, and these units would likely be very rare in future scenarios. Medics won't suddenly start appearing all over your favorite games.

Once again, please keep the comments coming.
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu

Messages In This Thread
RE: An idea for a new class of units - medical unit types - by John Given - 02-03-2013, 03:28 PM