• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

An idea for a new class of units - medical unit types
02-06-2013, 10:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2013, 01:57 AM by Kool Kat.)
RE: An idea for a new class of units - medical unit types
(02-06-2013, 03:56 PM)John Given Wrote: That function is already covered by officers, but i would like to remind you of an earlier snippet I pointed out in an earlier post of mine -

a. that officers are often few and far between;

b. They often won't affect (boost) all the units in a hex);

c. I tend to keep mine with the HQ's to boost supply range;

d. And, they tend to be valuable - I always loose my officers to lucky shots or artillery. I don't like to risk them.

That's FOUR reasons!

As far as them being 'chrome' as you say - yes, that's one way to put it. Medical units like this will not affect the game much.

Hey John: Smoke7

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the morale function is already performed by the CS commander units. Why introduce a "lesser officer" unit that only boosts morale? Idea2

But, your stated reasons for introducing a medic unit can be summarized as; (1.) Scenario design (2.) Game style.

Scenario design: It "may" be poor scenario design to have a lack of commander units in a game... or as stated by other posters, it may be an attempt to add balance or to keep an unwanted function (e.g. Banzai) out of a scenario. In any case, the "solution" would be for designers to create better scenarios with adequate commander units or, in the case of RS, remove the unrealistic Banzai function.

But, I don't understand the need for introducing a new unit to "correct" a poor scenario design? Should that burden not fall to the scenario designer?

Game style: Three of your four stated reasons for introducing a medic unit are game style.

Units, in the same command chain as their officer, will have their morale boosted when stacked with their officer. This function encourages players to keep units in the same command chain, close together, to simulate unit cohesiveness, command / control, and improve morale. But, it does not force players to deploy their troops in this manner. So, if players choose to stack units operating from different command chains, than there will be no morale boost for these units. It's the players' choice.

Players have a choice on how to deploy and utilize their commander units. They may stack these units with front line troops to boost morale for either offensive or defensive actions. Or, in your game style John, you stack the officers with rear HQ to boost supply range and don't risk the commander units on the front lines. Again, it's a player's choice how commander units are deployed.

So, I don't understand the need to introduce a new unit to "correct" a player's choice or game style? Isn't it up to the player to decide how to utilize commander units... and to live by the consequences of that decision?

Scenario design and play style are elements that can be corrected now with a combination of better scenario designs... and players who use superior game styles to adopt and over come what gets thrown at them on the virtual battlefield.

IMO, the introduction of a new medic unit will not accomplish what you are striving to correct with your proposal John. Soap Box
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email

Messages In This Thread
RE: An idea for a new class of units - medical unit types - by Kool Kat - 02-06-2013, 10:50 PM