• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

This is why I hate WW2 documentaries
07-20-2013, 02:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2013, 02:57 AM by BBrus.)
RE: This is why I hate WW2 documentaries
Comparing an Elephant to a M109? Hah! Hillarious.

Mistakes in the subtitles almost deserve a thread of their own. The subtitles found in original DVDs are usually written by professional translators, but that doesn't guarantee they are going to be right (History Channel documentaries are also supposed to be translated by trained translators, yet I spot mistakes quite frequently).

That reminds me of a complaint I sent to a website where you could watch movies, series and documentaries. I said that even though I appreciated the effort to create the subtitles just by listening to the dialogues (the DVD subtitles are made from the script in the original language), there were just too many mistakes and I asked if they could fix them or pay more attention to what the characters said. The answer was quite rude and basically stated that I couldn't complaint since it was done by volunteers. Volunteering to do something definitely doesn't mean it's acceptable to do things wrong!

Some producers get it right, luckily. For example, Battlestar: Gallactica. The Vipers (fighters of the ship's CAG) in the TV series use an actual brevity code in their comms! I couldn't believe my ears. :)
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
This is why I hate WW2 documentaries - by Weasel - 07-13-2013, 04:33 AM
RE: This is why I hate WW2 documentaries - by BBrus - 07-20-2013, 02:57 AM