• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

EA or Not? That is the Question!
02-06-2014, 12:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2014, 12:24 AM by Hawk Kriegsman.)
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question!
Hello All,

As Petri stated I only play with EA on. I have played new and older scenarios with it and found it has made all scenarios more enjoyable and realistic. They older scenarios work just fine IMHO with EA on.

If I did well on an older scenario prior to EA I did just as well with EA on. You just have to get used to how it works and adjust your tactics accordingly.

I was initially vehemently (and vocal) against EA. It was Jason Petho who tutored me in how to use EA effectively. Once I got the hang of it I found it to be vastly superior to the non-EA.

Does it some time take longer to remove an enemy? Yes it can. Case in point recently finished "Action In The Solomons". It took my Americans about 8 turns to remove a Japanese Engineer Platoon, MG platoon with a leader from a bunker hex. To me that makes sense.

Some of the underappreciated aspects of EA are (again IMHO):

1. The ability to assault defenders who are not disrupted. EA actually makes it easier to assault now as you do not have to disrupt everyone in a hex. High assault value units are much more valuable now (yes Russian SMG platoon with 4FP I am talking about you).

2. Armor in town, village and city hexes has its assault factor halved. This makes sense as you figure that vehicles are restricted to streets. Armor without infantry support in these hexes are vulnerable to assault.

3. Pillboxes can actually be assaulted and taken by combat engineers that have little anti-armor ability (basically every engineer unit that is not German, American or British). You can assault these pillboxes without having to disrupt the troops inside the pillbox. A perfect demonstration of this is in the scenario "Big Bully" by KKR. The Italians are attacking Albanians who are in a number of pillboxes. The Italians have very little ability to damage units in the pillboxes. The Italians have to use the combat engineers to assault the pillboxes do disrupt and reduce then capture the units inside. The scenario needs EA.

Anyways that is my take on EA. Best part it can be toggled on or off so it is a win-win for all.

Thanx!

Hawk

Messages In This Thread
EA or Not? That is the Question! - by Kool Kat - 02-01-2014, 01:21 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by berto - 02-01-2014, 06:57 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by berto - 02-01-2014, 07:36 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by berto - 02-02-2014, 07:51 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by berto - 02-01-2014, 09:00 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by berto - 02-02-2014, 01:48 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by Scud - 02-01-2014, 03:21 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by PawelM - 02-01-2014, 04:16 AM
RE: EA or Not? That is the Question! - by Tide1 - 02-01-2014, 08:24 AM