• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Understanding the basics
02-19-2017, 01:48 PM,
Help  Understanding the basics
I picked up Normandy '44 a few months ago and really really love it. It's my first foray into operational level war gaming and lots of the mechanics are still pretty opaque to me still though. Are there any decent articles besides the "7 Habits of..." article which outline general strategy outlines and just like, helpful hints? I've scrolled around these forums and found some useful material (what to do with units at night? it depends!) but still have so many questions...

How best to combine armor and infantry? I can't assault them at the same time - I get the "combined arms" penalty. Direct fire from both units then assault with the unit with less fatigue?

How should I plan my overall strategy? For the grand campaign I'm usually just looking up what a particular unit's actual D-Day (and beyond) objectives were and broadly trying to match up with them, but I can't help but think there are better methods.

What should I do with all my engineers?! The Allies land so many engineers on D-Day and I use some to clear mines, blow a couple bridges but generally I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing with all these units. Should I think of them more as infantry than something separate?

When should I be using full battalions and when should I be breaking units down to their constituent companies? I know there's a downside to combined battalions in Panzer Battles, but is there any reason to break down units in Campaigns?

And I could go on! Again, love the game...need a resource for the basics!
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Understanding the basics - by historysteve - 02-19-2017, 01:48 PM
RE: Understanding the basics - by Glenn Saunders - 02-19-2017, 04:39 PM
RE: Understanding the basics - by Mr Grumpy - 02-20-2017, 05:51 AM
RE: Understanding the basics - by historysteve - 02-20-2017, 12:38 PM
RE: Understanding the basics - by Kool Kat - 02-21-2017, 07:18 AM
RE: Understanding the basics - by historysteve - 02-23-2017, 02:20 PM