• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Incentives for AAR and DAR postings
09-30-2007, 01:57 AM,
RE: Incentives for AAR and DAR postings
McIvan Wrote:I can't think offhand of any legal difficulties involved in giving a donated prize. Where legal issues tend to arise is fund raising activities where people pay to enter. Those have various legal requirements, especially where some form of random draw is involved. I'll try to remember to have a look at the statute list tomorrow for any obvious governing statutes, then link from that to anything US based.

The fellow to ask would probably be Thor, him being a US lawyer.

Pete, great idea, and a very generous offer. I'm with RD on timing....AARs can take quite a long time so maybe once a year would be better, and the Xmas prize timing is a good suggestion.

A wargame in the post.....it's not so much (I hope) that people would resort to patent silliness, would they? Let's give it a shot, and see what happens.

A side point.....should we stipulate that all the tourney AARs/DARs actually get posted in the main AAR section? There are two going on now which I have been reading and enjoying, but most probably a lot of members don't actually realise they exist.

Well how about you Dev and Raz talk about it and then come up with some criteria for the contest.

I agree with Dev about the medals... too many and they become meaningless, and cluttered. Perhaps the medal's should only be handed out for the 3 top categories: 1st 2nd and 3rd, plus funniest, best tactical move, and most humiliating.

I agree about the yearly event thing, and that right before xmas is a good time to do it. So if we ran this from Oct 31 2007 to Oct 31 2008.

I would also say that the awards be either poll voted, or committee voted or a combination of both. I would also like to see monthly polls on who posted the best of that month... it would help in the criteria for the different awards categories and give people feedback and incentive for their hard work.

And yes, Coil, you're end of our AAR would count towards it, but my end would not. People could comment on my end (or give clickies if they could) in my thread for feedback as an alternative. I could not win a prize or receive anything but the blitz bonus points for a completed DAR.

Cheers!

Leto
Quote this message in a reply
09-30-2007, 11:34 AM,
I like it (and tacos).

I do think a once a year modest prize is a good level, encourages participation without being so big that people would go crazy over it.
09-30-2007, 12:06 PM,
Incidentally, only judges should be unable to win.....Let's DAR's should be in the running same as everyone else. There's a benchmark for anyone....
10-03-2007, 07:51 AM,
There does not appear to be a lot of interest in this. If that is the case, I'm prepared to drop it. No need to go through an assload of work if nobody is excited about the project.

Cheers!

Leto
10-03-2007, 08:37 AM,
Hey Leto you're one of the best AAR writers around, so I definitely think you should take part and let a panel of judges decide who's won..
10-03-2007, 12:31 PM,
Pete

i tink it's a great idea and i also would pony up same amount of $. I'm just think of when to find the time to type up a AAR and whats more important the best game finished to do it on.

Walkure:chin:
10-03-2007, 03:41 PM,
Walkure Wrote:Pete

i tink it's a great idea and i also would pony up same amount of $. I'm just think of when to find the time to type up a AAR and whats more important the best game finished to do it on.

Few more ideas: DAR contest... everyone starts at the same time. Sign up begins after promotion of the contest on battlefront, FGM, blitz, WaW, Gamesquad etc. Grand prize second and third. If you can kick in a 100, and I can kick in a 100, then we can sweeten the pot some.

It may get a whole new crew of people here posting DAR's here.

Cheers!~

Leto
10-03-2007, 10:11 PM,
your just just tell how and to who ?

10-03-2007, 10:16 PM,
[hirr Wrote:Leto]
Well how about you Dev and Raz talk about it and then come up with some criteria for the contest.

Raz is quite busy these days with some work outside of the club, not sure when he'll be able to return. and his to-do list is growing..
I'm a bit overloaded with RL Stuff and am just taking care of some minor club stuff ATM.
I'm not sure what Ivan's situation is, but last he said was "not enough hours in the day" or something to that extent.

It might be best you draft up something and email it that we can look over and haggle from, rather than wait for us to start other wise you might get the impression there's no interest, when there is, but there's limited time available for some of us interested.. :)
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
10-04-2007, 01:53 AM,
RedDevil Wrote:....I'm a bit overloaded with RL Stuff and am just taking care of some minor club stuff ATM.

Don't you mean playing Silent Hunter. :stir:

cheers