• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Domination!
05-22-2007, 07:49 PM,
RE: Domination!
Ben the thing is you can play this whichever way you see fit... its a big map and if you find an opponent who is happy to play using a timeline like you mentioned go for it. That is the joy of it being free form... we dont want to impose restrictions on people and would rather just let them play it however they like.
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2007, 11:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-23-2007, 03:51 AM by RedDevil.)
Domination a great idea Rico had and he wants to share it with everyone, but he wants people who are committed to play and part of the deal is to come join FGM.
2 trial runs, which he stopped a little abruptly, ironed out many minor flaws and within hours, many of the participants had rejoined to play in the updated version. Games are still being played in the older version and logged, some are even able to transfer over to the new version.

There is no set ending, but there is the goal of conquering the enemy capitals and forcing them to surrender, gobbling up huge land masses and taking away the will of the enemy to fight. WW2 lasted several years, so if Domination goes several months, it compares a little bit

Anything can be used to fight a battle with, A QB setting, a scenario, a pre-made map setting. Any time frame can be chosen, there are no limitations to the variety of choices available to the players, other than those outlined in the rules for certain hexes.
Another feature is the steerage away from the ME syndrome, only from certain hexes (Initiative hexes) can a challenge be made for a ME, most all other battles involve a probe, attack or assault.

For the competitor, games can be scored on a ladder system at any club that allows new members to join and mix it up. FGM members use TheBlitz ladder system, but they're not shy to join another ladder to provide their opponents with the same ability to record their games on their own systems.

Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
05-23-2007, 03:55 AM,
I've corrected my post Ben and deleted yours as it pointed to nothing understandable after my editing.

Sorry for the confusion
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
05-23-2007, 08:00 AM,
Bootie Wrote:Ben the thing is you can play this whichever way you see fit... its a big map and if you find an opponent who is happy to play using a timeline like you mentioned go for it. That is the joy of it being free form... we dont want to impose restrictions on people and would rather just let them play it however they like.

But you cant play anyway you see fit, the map dictates certain parameters.That is the sole purpose of the map.

The map provides no real strategic rational for battles as there can be no winner and the taking of hexes has no effect in any global way. The map is just there to provide/dictate a bit of context to QBs. Seeing that Rico has gone to so much trouble to create a context system for QBs I am just wondering why not go just that little bit further and not just dictate terrain/place but also time. Time and place go hand in hand ask Einstein.
05-23-2007, 08:08 AM,
Well I guess thats the way he wanted it. Im sure he thought about it but decided not to go the timeline way.

The way I see it, he is the one who has put in all the hours and he will run it as he sees fit.

It has been released as a finished product for the forseeable future and it has already begun so I cant envisage any changes at this late stage.

The formula has been tried and tested and enjoyed thoroughly by the majority.

05-23-2007, 08:41 AM,
Sounds good but to play it you have to become a member of the FGM?
Can't you play as a Blitz member?
05-23-2007, 08:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-23-2007, 08:46 AM by Fullhouse.)
Quote:The way I see it, he is the one who has put in all the hours and he will run it as he sees fit.

Obviously sherlock. However after he put all the hours in did he elect you as his representative?;) to speak on his behalf.

He mentioned that he thought it was to complicated to add time indicating his thought processes. I am just saying that I think there are simple ways of including a timeline.

Given that he is the creator of the context giving map and that the whole point of his improvements to date have all been to add more context I was just asking why not add this little bit more. I am sure he is capable of answering that question himself. I am not being critical I am just having a conversation about an interesting topic.

Why was the original game abandoned in favour of an improved version? Because Rico wanted to add more context, primarily I assume because without context all you have is an endless swaping and reswaping of hexes that ultimately without some context will become more and more meaningless.

As I see it I expect time will be introduced at some point as all the improvements have been contextual and simple. An introduction of a time is just a fulfillment of that process. Rico seemed to think otherwise, that time would not meet the design criteria of Context and Simplicity.

Edited to add: BTW timeline and time are not the same. Time just means the time the QBs are set at changes. Timeline means there are global changes to certain factors that mirror events in WW2 itself. The first is simple the latter less so.

05-23-2007, 08:50 AM,
All FGM members are Blitz members...

The problem with opening it on these boards is that we have a lot of people just passing through and signing up.... perhaps accepting a challenge then disappearing... it has happened to numerous tournaments and some even had to close because of the disappearances.

If people want to show true commitment in the long term then signing up to the FGM forums is a small ask especially concerning the amount of tournaments etc we offer.

Over their the tourney designers put in a lot of work and at present have a good hardcore followng that doesnt walk away from unfinished business. Since October we have had 3 tournaments and 2 clan wars start and finish successfully with Fight Club and King of the Castle moving steadily along. Tell me how many years you need to go back to find the last 5 successful Blitz CM tournaments. I would say 3 years... Byte Battle Brawl by Rico and 4 tournies by Vulture.

05-23-2007, 08:57 AM,
So the short answer is, you have to become a FGM member to play it.
05-23-2007, 09:02 AM,
RE:��Domination!
Bob Millard Wrote:So the short answer is, you have to become a FGM member to play it.

Yes, but I was giving you reasons why.