• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Winter Operations - Kharkov '43: Tiller Operational Campaigns Tournament No 2
2 hours ago,
RE: Winter Operations - Kharkov '43: Tiller Operational Campaigns Tournament No 2
(3 hours ago)HMCS Rosthern Wrote: The goal of this tournament is to have meet new people, have competition, and above all have fun. So I don't want the debate of DDR to disrupt that (pun intended Big Grin ). Currently there are equal number of for and against.

I am willing to put DDR up for a vote. Please respond by October 6, 2359PDT for or against DDR. In case of a tie it will be DDR. The tournament will now start on Monday, October 7 and ends Sunday, November 24, 2024.

Current vote tally. 

For:
Fhil
Comrade P
Arkan

Against:
Deturk
Partizaka
Lorddeadwood

I vote against.
Quote this message in a reply
2 hours ago, (This post was last modified: 2 hours ago by ComradeP.)
RE: Winter Operations - Kharkov '43: Tiller Operational Campaigns Tournament No 2
Arkan and I are already at turn 3, we'll pause the game and will restart if necessary.

As assaulting with infantry is a 2 turn process, unless a unit happens to start adjacent to the enemy, Delayed Disruption Reporting lessens one problem faced by each side. 

For the Soviets, with lower quality units, it makes it more likely that units can actually assault on that second turn, as defensive fire is less effective at disrupting attacks (because some of it might be "wasted" on already Disrupted units). The ability to cherry pick targets is the main reason why I started playing with Delayed Disruption Reporting. That was at a time when Disrupted units also still had 1/2 MP's and a local problem soon became an operational rout for the Soviets.

For the Axis, with fewer units, it makes it easier to man the frontline with broken down units. Though they gain more Fatigue and are weaker overall, the Soviet player needs to guess if an XXX Men unit is a company, a combined unit or a full battalion. Being able to detect immediately if a unit becomes Disrupted makes it more challenging to hold the frontline with smaller units.

Due to the difference in quality and capabilities in the final scenarios in the tournament, playing those without Delayed Disruption Reporting is also more challenging for the Soviets.

As A quality units will never become Disrupted until something lowers their effective Morale level, there's not much of a benefit for the Soviet player in playing without Delayed Disruption Reporting.
2 hours ago,
(5 hours ago)HMCS Rosthern Wrote: All entrants should have received an email with the list of entrants and their email. (my policy is not to post emails on theBlitz.club forum). 

Since there are 6 rounds and 8 entrants per side, there are two entrants that you will not play against. I am using various criteria to select the pairings per round per scenario. I won't list all the round pairing selection criteria, other than to say Round 1 sees pairings based on ELO, in descending order.  The pairings will be announced at the beginning of the round. In theory I could post all the round pairings right now, but I want to avoid some entrants playing rounds in advance of the schedule. 

Hint: The formulae to award tournament points has more granularity around the draw. This tournament will require entrants to gather as many objective points and opponent loss points as they can, even when a draw is likely. 

Don't forget to record your game in the ladder. 

I don't think there are any other issues. Whew! It's been a long road to get here. Let the games begin! Good luck and enjoy!

I cannot find any emails on this. Please tell me what address you sent it from, or what the subject line is, and I'll search again.

Please make sure you use my correct email: d.a.yomtov using google mail.
2 hours ago,
(2 hours ago)Liebchen Wrote:
(5 hours ago)HMCS Rosthern Wrote: All entrants should have received an email with the list of entrants and their email. (my policy is not to post emails on theBlitz.club forum). 

Since there are 6 rounds and 8 entrants per side, there are two entrants that you will not play against. I am using various criteria to select the pairings per round per scenario. I won't list all the round pairing selection criteria, other than to say Round 1 sees pairings based on ELO, in descending order.  The pairings will be announced at the beginning of the round. In theory I could post all the round pairings right now, but I want to avoid some entrants playing rounds in advance of the schedule. 

Hint: The formulae to award tournament points has more granularity around the draw. This tournament will require entrants to gather as many objective points and opponent loss points as they can, even when a draw is likely. 

I don't think there are any other issues. Whew! It's been a long road to get here. Let the games begin! Good luck and enjoy!

I cannot find any emails on this. Please tell me what address you sent it from, or what the subject line is, and I'll search again.

Your e-mail address on the list Patric sent to participants is a different one.
2 hours ago,
(2 hours ago)ComradeP Wrote:
(2 hours ago)Liebchen Wrote:

Your e-mail address on the list Patric sent to participants is a different one.

Sent you a test email and my records are updated.
2 hours ago,
Please vote! Please respond by October 7, 0859PDT, for or against DDR. In case of a tie it will be DDR. The tournament will now start on Monday, October 7 at 0900PDT, and ends Sunday, November 24, 2024.

Note the date start time Monday, October 7 at 0900PDT (1600GMT). Do not proceed until I give the official statement on whether DDR is in use.
39 minutes ago,
(2 hours ago)HMCS Rosthern Wrote: Please vote! Please respond by October 7, 0859PDT, for or against DDR. In case of a tie it will be DDR. The tournament will now start on Monday, October 7 at 0900PDT, and ends Sunday, November 24, 2024.

Note the date start time Monday, October 7 at 0900PDT (1600GMT). Do not proceed until I give the official statement on whether DDR is in use.

A. I am indifferent to the DDR. I like the rule but, as someone mentioned earlier, it is not always fair in a smaller scenario.

B. Is Kharkov '43 still in 4.04, then? I thought that all PzC titles were patched up, by now, at least all of the Ostfront ones.
28 minutes ago,
Patric,

This thread is getting unwieldy. Please consider starting a new thread, listing out:

The scenario
The players (and their sides)
Anything else that's useful.
25 minutes ago,
(39 minutes ago)Liebchen Wrote:
(2 hours ago)HMCS Rosthern Wrote: Please vote! Please respond by October 7, 0859PDT, for or against DDR. In case of a tie it will be DDR. The tournament will now start on Monday, October 7 at 0900PDT, and ends Sunday, November 24, 2024.

A. I am indifferent to the DDR. I like the rule but, as someone mentioned earlier, it is not always fair in a smaller scenario.

B. Is Kharkov '43 still in 4.04, then? I thought that all PzC titles were patched up, by now, at least all of the Ostfront ones.

The wargameds.com website lists a download for Kharkov '43 as V4.04. It is likely that V4.05 will appear during this tournament. The tournament rules cover this - if V4.05 appears while a V4.04 paired game is in progress, that game is completed as V4.04. Once completed, the entrants must upgrade to V4.05 before the next round.