• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Using arty/mortar spotters
01-03-2007, 06:57 AM,
Using arty/mortar spotters
Being fairly new to CM one of the things I'm having a bit of difficulty with is the deployment of spotters. In defense it's not so bad as they're mostly stationary and just watch for approaching enemies and plot their course as best you can. Attacking on the other hand is different. In one of my games I have a spotter for 300mm artillery, takes 30 mins to fire on target and it's only a 40 turn game. What would be the most effective use of a unit like that in that situation? Also when spotters of smaller variety are on the attack what are some advised tactics for their best use? I know a lot might depend on terrain, viibilty etc but some general info would be good.
I remember Canada's Forgotten Veterans

http://www.vcn.bc.ca/~jeffrey1/tribute.htm
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2007, 07:13 AM,
RE: Using arty/mortar spotters
[Image: 1hdmkw.jpg]

If you use the artillery on the first turn you have no delay so wont have to wait 30 minutes to strike.

Also if you use TRP's (target reference points) it will also reduce the time you have to wait.

On the attack I usually get my spotters somewhere with a good LOS and dont move them from it until they are out of ammo... then I retreat them to the back of the map or keep them there spotting.

Bootie
01-03-2007, 08:00 AM,
Good advice, Bootie.

One other thing to keep in mind is that you can target a point out of sight and move your spotter to a point where they can later see it. As long as you do this before the first spotting round is fired (typically at the one minute mark, for anything with a long delay), the accuracy is not affected. That way you don't waste all the time spent moving and it needn't matter that you start out of sight.

If your delay is 30 mins, you really have no choice but to use pre-programmed fire (which can only be plotted on turn one, but may be prgrammed to come in later on a chosen turn) or TRPs.
01-03-2007, 08:09 AM,
McIvan Wrote:One other thing to keep in mind is that you can target a point out of sight and move your spotter to a point where they can later see it. As long as you do this before the first spotting round is fired (typically at the one minute mark, for anything with a long delay), the accuracy is not affected. That way you don't waste all the time spent moving and it needn't matter that you start out of sight.

I wasnt aware of this... thanks.

Bootie
01-03-2007, 08:13 AM,
Okimaw Wrote:In one of my games I have a spotter for 300mm artillery, takes 30 mins to fire on target and it's only a 40 turn game. What would be the most effective use of a unit like that in that situation?

As the call for fire has to go up several layers of the chain of command, the time takes longer. Also, since this level of arty supports many, many units (as opposed to BN or BDE arty) you have to wait your turn. :) Thus, CM puts in the delay.

If you've got that type of arty, it can be a real butt kicker - I just had a rocket spotter only able to dump half his load take out a platoon, 2 AFVs and several mortars. The higher level the spotter the more you have to plan ahead of time where/how to use.
Minuteman
01-03-2007, 08:17 AM,
RE:��Using arty/mortar spotters
Bootie Wrote:If you use the artillery on the first turn you have no delay so wont have to wait 30 minutes to strike.

Bootie

Remember, this will not work in MEs - only probes/attacks/assaults...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
01-03-2007, 08:38 AM,
And also remember that all you need are conscript spotters if you intend to pre-plan the arty strike.
Send this user an email
01-03-2007, 09:09 AM,
And on pre-planned strikes its a good idea to have a look at the map from your opponents side and think if you were him where you would place your initial force setup and then order your artillery to stonk the hell out of it!!

Bootie
01-03-2007, 09:00 PM,
how do you get an officer to act as an observer for onmap arty - ie looking over the crest of a hill for a half track motor - ive seen it mentioned but had no succses with it
01-03-2007, 09:11 PM,
For mortars, yes - not for spotters, though. Select the mortar unit (obviously must be w/in command radius of leader) and select the target command. As you move the LOS line around, you'll notice that it is blue when preparing to fire where the unit has LOS. It will go to the orange/black LOS line when the unit can't see, however, pay attention to the writing beneath the end of the line. If it says "Area Fire" instead of "Sight Blocked" that tells you that there is no LOS for the mortar, however it can fire there because of the leader's LOS.
Minuteman