• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Maps
11-21-2007, 10:25 AM,
Maps
Good map library here http://mapy.mk.cvut.cz/ but its all in Czech. Click on "Seznam" at the opening screen to take you to the world map lists, the Russian section is extensive but its all in the Russian alphabet and hard to tell what area you're looking at, but I think I recognise this one, it's either Disneyworld or Stalingrad..

[Image: Stalingrad.jpg]

Tractor Works zoom..
[Image: tract.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2007, 12:40 PM,
RE: Maps
If anyone neds anything translated, I have been teaching myself Russian for the last little while, so I might be able to help some. Maybe get the general idea anyhow.
11-21-2007, 01:23 PM,
From where I sit...not knowing Russian or Czech and all....that looks like the Tennis Racket.

Good Hunting.

MR
11-21-2007, 04:45 PM,
Well, my spoken Russian is a whole lot better then my reading it. I wonder what year the map is from as the name is now Volgagrad.
11-21-2007, 11:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-21-2007, 11:38 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
Speaking of Russian-to-English translation, this Russian website is crying out for people to help them translate stuff into English

THE RUSSIAN BATTLEFIELD
http://www.battlefield.ru/
"We need your assistance to translate materials in English!"

It's an excellent site, a treasure chest of all sorts of stuff, photos, documents, graphs, charts, diagrams, first-hand battle accounts etc, about half in English, the rest in Russian.

For examp here's an analysis they did of penetration locations of Panthers wrecked at Kursk
http://www.battlefield.ru/index.php?opti...Itemid=119
You can click on some in the list to get details of the hit locations such as this one, tank 634 which took 7 penetrations
[Image: panth-pen.jpg]
11-22-2007, 08:33 AM,
That was an interesting read, Spike....was amazed to hear that they attributed a Panther's front turret pentration to a 45mm tungsten round; maybe a shot trap hit.

It was noticeable that hardly any of the Panther knockouts came from frontal penetrations, most from the side but a surprising number from the rear....must have been a real melee.
11-22-2007, 08:58 AM,
I would think it was the failure of the Germans to ensure their flanks were secured before driving forward with heavy armor and allowing the ATGs to score hits on the side and rear. I find it hard to believe many, if any, of those shots, were from a T34 gun, with the exception of a true melee where the Soviets simply dashed forward and overwhelmed the Panthers with numbers.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.
11-22-2007, 09:40 AM,
Guderian commented the German tank crews tactics involving Tigers and Panthers. His comment was that Cat Fur didn't stop AT rounds.

IOW, you better use good tactics no matter what kind of tank you're in.

Good Hunting.

MR