• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE TRIDENT TROPHY COMPETITION
03-06-2008, 07:04 AM,
RE: THE TRIDENT TROPHY COMPETITION
I would be very interested to know how many Trident players bought an artillery spotter after it's all done.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal[Image: pzV.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2008, 08:02 AM,
Jobu88 Wrote:I would be very interested to know how many Trident players bought an artillery spotter after it's all done.

I was going to, but there were 00 points available when I purchased my units (I was Axis). I'm pretty sure I tried all unit types (regular through vet for example), fit/unfit, etc., but no luck. Did anyone else notice that, or was anyone else able to purchase arty?

(I'm at work now, so can't try to emulate the situation)
03-06-2008, 10:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-06-2008, 07:06 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
RESULT JUST IN - Panzer Dan beat POS

Panzer Dan dominated the woods and city..
[Image: Dan-endA.png]

Panzer Dans American infantry take the city by storm while my panzers can only withdraw out of bazooka range..
[Image: Dan-endB.gif]
------------------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENT LEADER BOARD (March 6th)
Games finished 17/25

POS-beaters in descending order -

RNL Tiger (total vic 90-10) = margin 80
Lord Bane (maj vic 83-17) = marg 66
Marshall666 (maj vic 73-27) = marg 46
Owl (maj vic 72-28) = marg 44
John B50 (tac vic 68-32) = marg 36
Colonel Talvela (tac vic 67-33) = marg 34
Odies (tac vic 65-35) = marg 30
Das Tiger (tac vic 64-36) = marg 28
Feldfebel and Jobu (min vic 59-41) = marg 18
Willow (min vic 57-43) marg = 14
Panzer Dan (draw 55-45) marg = 10
Huzaar (draw 52-48) = marg 4
Elltee (draw 51-49) = marg 2

So RNL Tiger is the current front runner to lift the trophy.
But there are still 8 more results to come in before the tourney ends midnight March 31st..;)

POS record so far - Played 17, Won 3, Lost 14
03-06-2008, 10:29 AM,
willow Wrote:..was anyone else able to purchase arty?

Here are the params again, everybody should have had 350 Artillery/Air points to spend regardless of side -

[Image: Trid-params.png]
03-06-2008, 10:15 PM,
I had arty. Some very, very impressive 2" mortarts !! That got the enemy running !
03-07-2008, 06:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2008, 06:30 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RESULT JUST IN - Zilkin beat POS

Yet again my bad habit of buying too many tanks meant I did okay in the good tank country in the centre, but hadn't enough infantry to put up a decent show in the city and woods..
[Image: Zil-endA.png]

Backed up by a Hetzer, Zilkins Germans taunt the Brits..
[Image: Clipboard01.gif]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENT LEADER BOARD (March 6th)
Games finished 18/25

POS-beaters in descending order -

RNL Tiger (total vic 90-10) = margin 80
Lord Bane (maj vic 83-17) = marg 66
Marshall666 (maj vic 73-27) = marg 46
Owl (maj vic 72-28) = marg 44
John B50 (tac vic 68-32) = marg 36
Colonel Talvela (tac vic 67-33) = marg 34
Odies (tac vic 65-35) = marg 30
Das Tiger (tac vic 64-36) = marg 28
Feldfebel and Jobu (min vic 59-41) = marg 18
Willow and Zilkin (min vic 57-43) marg = 14
Panzer Dan (draw 55-45) marg = 10
Huzaar (draw 52-48) = marg 4
Elltee (draw 51-49) = marg 2

So RNL Tiger is the current front runner to lift the trophy.
But there are still 7 more results to come in before the tourney ends midnight March 31st..;)

POS record so far - Played 18, Won 3, Lost 15

WHO BOUGHT WHAT
As British, I usually bought 2 Fireflies, 4 Sher 75's, 2 infantry companies and a few snipers/HMG's
As German I usually bought 4 PzIVH and 3 Hetzers, 2 inf coys, a few snipers, HMG's and schrecks.

As far as I can tell, my oppos bought roughly the same types as me, except they dropped a couple of tanks and bought more inf instead.
Their tanks were mostly PzIVH's, Hetzers, Sher 75's and 76's.
03-07-2008, 10:01 PM,
COMBAT FOOTAGE (mixed sector) - Guderians Hetzer fires at same instant as my Firefly..

Inset - but the Firefly comes off worst..
[Image: Gud-het.gif]
03-08-2008, 01:43 AM,
I had an 81mm Mortar spotter. But it was a bonus that came with the Fusilier 45' BN that I purchased. It did a good job in the center where it blasted a platoon of POS' infantry that was hiding in a tree line next to the Church. The spotter was credited with 12 infantry kills in the end.
Lord Bane
03-09-2008, 02:04 PM,
willow Wrote:
Jobu88 Wrote:I would be very interested to know how many Trident players bought an artillery spotter after it's all done.

I was going to, but there were 00 points available when I purchased my units (I was Axis). I'm pretty sure I tried all unit types (regular through vet for example), fit/unfit, etc., but no luck. Did anyone else notice that, or was anyone else able to purchase arty?

I went back to the set-up for the scenario, and found out of course I could but arty spotters, but I couldn't get TRPs, as it was a Meeting Engagement. I hate stoogeing around my spotters trying to get LOS to a target, so I remember that's why I didn't get any spotters.
03-10-2008, 12:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-10-2008, 01:11 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
COMBAT FOOTAGE (mixed sector) - Stndrtnfhr's German infantry hold their ground in face of sustained tank area-fire..

Noob note -This is an important standard CM tactic, namely if you suspect there are enemy infantry or guns etc in clumps of trees or buildings etc, saturate them with area-fire, and eventually the survivors will break and run, or start wriggling around and show up on the map like one German squad is doing
(Don't worry too nuch about enemy tanks suddenly showing up, as your area-firers will usually auto-switch to direct fire and engage them)
And note I've only issued area-fire orders to 4 of the 5 Shermans, I've left one without orders so he'll be able to pick up his own targets like running or wriggling infantry, or trucks etc if any show up..

[Image: area-fire.gif]

Note the craters from previous turns. Also area-fire tends to scatter which can be a good thing because it produces a 'shotgun effect' that blankets a wider area..
[Image: area2.gif]