• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Name that tank ??
04-20-2008, 09:45 PM,
Name that tank ??
Can anyone name this baby?? I used to own the fabulous reference book Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War II
many years ago, so I have at least seen it before, but darned if I can remember what it's called.

[Image: Experimental150mm.jpg]
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal[Image: pzV.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2008, 09:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-20-2008, 09:57 PM by Pioneer.)
RE: Name that tank ??
Waffentrager fur 10.5cm leichte Fldhaubitze 18/40 Heuschrecke. A weapons carrier design of the experimental Waffentrager series. It carried a collapsible gantry to allow the gun to be lifted off and emplaced.

Ref : Tanks of World War 2 (Chris Ellis)
04-21-2008, 12:24 AM,
I love stuff like this... thanks for the pics... you always keep finding different, rare and "wish you could use them on the CM battlefield" tanks and equipment all the time.

Makes me wonder if there were any modifications of some tanks that were made by the crews to change them or make them more fighting capable... sort of like better armor plating and protection (from infantry) on Marder's and other OT assault guns. It would be neat to find a book on WW2 tank renovations or something like that.

Cheers!

Leto
04-22-2008, 02:34 AM,
here some more details about the Heuschrecke 10

[Image: picCube_30b5c36f5a.jpg]

[Image: picCube_9e2bd67467.jpg]

:smoke: Andre
04-22-2008, 01:16 PM,
Ahhh . . . . errrr . . . you have to be kidding. That looks like the most useless contraption I have ever seen. Why did the Germans waste their time and resources on stuff like this?

:chin:
04-22-2008, 02:06 PM,
Quote:Ahhh . . . . errrr . . . you have to be kidding. That looks like the most useless contraption I have ever seen. Why did the Germans waste their time and resources on stuff like this?

A creative imagination unlimbered from the limits of the mundane world of practical military necessity? :conf:
04-22-2008, 09:43 PM,
"Brilliant Idea...Think of it ...you now have a mobile AT gun with its own armored transport. . . Uhhh dont we already have something like this???":chin:
04-23-2008, 04:21 AM,
http://www.achtungpanzer.com/wafft.htm#heu
04-23-2008, 06:55 AM,
I think the idea was that, as it's a howitzer (I think), you could drop it on the ground over a gun pit and get the elevation that you can't get while it's on the tank. Don't think it's an AT gun as such.
04-24-2008, 11:07 AM,
Or go resupply while maintaining fire capability.