• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CM as popular as ever..:)
07-10-2008, 05:30 AM,
CM as popular as ever..:)
Combat Missions popularity is as high as ever with plenty of CM clubs everywhere; here's a pic of one clubs recent get-together..

[Image: demons.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2008, 06:21 AM,
RE: CM as popular as ever..:)
On a serious note overall CM hasnt really waned from the early days... sure we are repeating things we have discussed before but this is essential for new members... hell Im asking questions over at the CS section and getting answers that no doubt have been answered a thousand times before. But as wargamers we owe it to the new blood to help out anyway we can when it comes to their introduction to CM... from POS' tactics posts to tourney designers welcoming them in to competitions with open arms we all have our part to play.

The summer usually sees a slow down in CM chat and games and this is the case this year... I used to worry the game was dying in past years but have now realised that summer holidays etc take their troll and everyone returns when the days start getting shorter and the temperature drops a couple of notches.
07-10-2008, 06:55 AM,
Yah chess has been around for 1400 years and CM will be too, unless it's superceded by something better.
Beats me why a game company doesn't simply bring out a game with lots of CM's features, but going an extra mile to make it that little bit better.
Maybe the CM system is copyrighred or something which puts them off, I dunno.
I'm always on the lookout for a geek to team up with to produce such a game because I can't program for toffee, he'll do the actual boring coding and stuff and i'll do the actual fantastic game design and playtesting, we'd make a mint..:)
Any geeks out there interested?
07-10-2008, 06:52 PM,
I had the same idea, my only problem was these "geeks" want to get paid.
07-10-2008, 07:08 PM,
So what? a 50-50 split is fine by me..:)
07-11-2008, 01:24 AM,
Boot Wrote:... that summer holidays etc take their troll...

Bootie,
I usually leave mine at home as I can't fit it in the boot of the car. I call my Troll, 'Mother-in-law'! Big Grin
07-11-2008, 01:27 AM,
LOL.... typo!!!
07-11-2008, 03:15 AM,
Yeah, generally a guy doing that much work wants to get paid as he goes. What you want is a enlighten war gamer geek who will wait for his share of the profits. But, if he is a war gamer he may think his ideas are better than yours, so he would not need you at all, thus the problem. Computer geeks who are not war gamers usually don't do charity programing on the word of some old war gamer.
07-11-2008, 04:04 AM,
War Gaming design and development is at best a niche market. The only way to make even a modest amount of money is to release a series, where the costs of the initial investment to the game engine design are recouped as you sell volume 12 of a disc that has been improved upon from volume 1, but is not a complete re-write.

FPS games make money on volume, games like CM (or take your pick of any other game played here at the Blitz) just never will. Those that release them and those that support them, are not much different than those that buy and play them, in that both groups do it more for love than money.
07-11-2008, 04:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2008, 04:31 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Zemke Wrote:..Computer geeks who are not war gamers usually don't do charity programing on the word of some old war gamer.

If they want to stay geeks instead of make a bundle it's no skin off my nose, i'll find somebody else..;)
Another idea of mine is to start my own CM website and take in advertising where I get paid per number of site views, for example a dollar per view.
Let's see now..my 5 Tourneys drew in a total of 35,000 views... catch mah drift boy?
PS-Any geek out there know anything about setting up websites and cashing in? Contact me and lets cut a deal..;)