• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

MG42
09-15-2008, 12:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-16-2008, 01:01 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
MG42
[Image: mg42.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2008, 12:41 AM,
RE: MG
Yes your quite right POS, that is a machine gun. :rolleyes:
09-16-2008, 12:42 AM,
RE: MG
Its quite a good picture.

As an aside can anyone inform me of how those tripod things work for the MG42 where you sort of fix the field of fire and can fire without being right at the gun.
09-16-2008, 01:04 AM,
RE: MG42
Yes nice photo but I was looking for the text explaining where it was taken or more info about the MG but found nothing.
Hopefully the grogs here can fill in the missing bits :)
09-16-2008, 01:21 AM,
There's a secondary "remote trigger" on the end of the wooden stock that this guy is tweaking, I daresay under fire he could lay safely prone behind cover with just his arm sticking up to tweak it, or even tie a string to it and get further away before pulling it..

[Image: tri.jpg]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p111nO1jIh8
09-16-2008, 01:23 AM,
Thanks... always wondered about that.
09-16-2008, 01:42 AM,
British Tommy Wrote:Yes nice photo but I was looking for the text

I found it uncaptioned on the net and posted it to brighten up the forum and to test 1024x768 resolution and computer-enhancement, we artists are always exploring groundbreaking new techniques to refine our stunning creations to put before our enthralled and doting popcorn-munching adiences
09-16-2008, 02:06 AM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:There's a secondary "remote trigger" on the end of the wooden stock that this guy is tweaking, I daresay under fire he could lay safely prone behind cover with just his arm sticking up to tweak it, or even tie a string to it and get further away before pulling it..

It's possible that there were more than one configuration, but I'd always thought that the secondary trigger was part of the tripod set-up rather than attached to the stock, as per here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuraX95S8...re=related
09-16-2008, 03:29 AM,
I believe that the remote trigger enabled a more sustained fire from the tripod mount. Taking the recoil to the shoulder with anything but a burst would get rather draining after a short time. Pistol grips are rather hard on the wrist with heavy recoil and even though the round might not be that heavy recoiling in single shots, a prolonged continuous firing would be a challenge.
09-16-2008, 05:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-16-2008, 05:47 AM by Jobu88.)
I was recently looking through an Army publication of current world small arms and support weapons and came across a photo of an Iranian (or maybe Indian-- I forget) soldier firing a machine gun and I will be damned if it wasn't a 99% clone of the MG-42. Dead ringer.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal[Image: pzV.jpg]