• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question for you Generals,, (Please,,lolol)
01-13-2009, 05:05 PM,
Question for you Generals,, (Please,,lolol)
Ive played the great CM games off and on for a few years, I play the CS games as well,,, I seem to like the CS much more but want to get better at CM,, that said,,,,

on your turns,,,

do you look at every unit,,, viewing options from 1 - 4?,,

Im thinking my fantastic opponents, who have all been kicking my ass for some time now, must do the micro-management on every freaking soldier, truck, jeep, tank, bird, mouse, fish,,,, lololoool Im tooo impatient I guess I tell my tanks where to go,, hopefully remember the "view" thing,,, area of concentration,,, then press go,,,

anyway,,, I know there are some truly incredible tacticians here and if you could get past my silly seemingly stupid questions,,, (not to mention my atrocious spelling) Id love to hear how you guys do it,,,

hats off to you all

John
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2009, 05:37 PM,
RE: Question for you Generals,, (Please,,lolol)
Not a question that can be answered in a couple of lines. First, yes I do look at every squad, truck and gun, not to say that they are all planned and ordered individually, but they all get a good look. Mostly zoomed in to 3 or 4, and occasionally 6 if I have some tricky moves to make in close quarters.
Back when i started playing this silly little game and losing far more then I was winning, I was given a couple pionters that I use to this day:
Don't fight for ground that you are not willing to lose BIG over.
If you have a good plan, then odds are your enemy is hurting as bad if not worse then you are, this is the time to pour it on, and not to back off.
Find one part of the game that you seem to be good at and win that part of the battle every time, eventually you will learn to exploit the success in this area.
01-13-2009, 06:20 PM,
Yes I look at all my units each turn.

If nothing else you'll be amazed how often what appeared to be a straight forward move order ends up totally screwed by the PC, or the PC has had to dastratically amend your planned route due to a peice of terrain that you missed.

Also you'll want to stop the PC shooting at targets that you have no real chance of hitting, especially in 25-30 turn games as ammo gets very short very quickly.

Don't necessarily use all view levels for all units, but I do get right down to ground level when looking for good shooting positions, or to check that a particular planned move will not expose my guys unnecessarily to view from my opponent.

Whilst micro managing everything may be time consuming and some would say unrealistic, unfortunately the AI isn't smart enough to simply be able to give general orders and hope it does the right thing.
01-13-2009, 07:14 PM,
Yes I do look at all my unit's as the Battle moves along, but I was told a long time ago that you have to make a plan before going into action, and try stick to it......also with my platoon leaders I put a firing arc behind them, reason so that he can stay in hiding and only engage when I want them to.

cheers Ted

Stay Bright
REAL OPPONENTS SEE THE BATTLE OUT TO THE END, WINNING OR LOSING
01-13-2009, 09:55 PM,
Yep, micromanage city. Everything that might meet the enemy.
01-14-2009, 06:51 AM,
I still occasionally punish myself by NOT getting down to ground level for a look before issuing orders, then when it's too late I get down there and realize that my MG-42 platoon can't cover my infantry, because the ground rises just a bit between them.

Always worth the time to take a good, slow look at everybody.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal[Image: pzV.jpg]
01-14-2009, 07:47 AM,
Paying attention to the details is what wins in this game - 5W's
1. Who - what forces do you have?
2. What - do you want to achieve with those forces?
3. When - how much time do you have and are there sub parts that have to be accomplished first?
4. Where - do you forces need to go?
5. Why - what is their mission against what is the enemy's mission?
I find I usually do well in those games that I pay lots of attention to all the various factors of CM and I do less well if I am hurried to get turns out because of the large number of games I play at one time - a bad habit I need to break - do I really need like 40 games going at the same time?
6. How - do you achieve victory?
01-14-2009, 09:13 AM,
I guess I am the odd man out here because I don't look at every unit every turn! Good Lord...no wonder it takes some of you a whole day to send back a turn! There is no reason to look at every unit that I can think of?
Lord Bane (FGM)
01-14-2009, 06:45 PM,
Your certainly odd, but not because you look at every unit every time !:P

I hardly ever look at all my units every turn. Depends very, very much on the situation in the battle. During close combat or impending combat it is more common that I micromanage the involved units.

I usually use viewsetting 6, because I get the best overview. Selecting a unit and hiitting the "L" key tells me if that unit got LOS.
01-16-2009, 12:23 AM,
hedgehog(FGM) Wrote:Yes I do look at all my unit's as the Battle moves along, but I was told a long time ago that you have to make a plan before going into action, and try stick to it......also with my platoon leaders I put a firing arc behind them, reason so that he can stay in hiding and only engage when I want them to.

cheers Ted

Stay Bright

Never heard of "placing "the firing arc behind" a unit's direction of advance/movement, etc.
Doesn't doing so, impede it's observation/spoting abilities forward, towards enemy positions, etc!?
I mean the leader/squad have been ordered (via the arc) to concentrate on spoting within the ARC.. :-)