• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Shock Force
03-05-2009, 10:30 PM,
Shock Force
Does anyone round here play this game any more?

I decided to give it another go and didn't find it too bad after 11 patches.
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2009, 10:43 PM,
RE: Shock Force
Bootie Wrote:Does anyone round here play this game any more?

I decided to give it another go and didn't find it too bad after 11 patches.

I would also like to hear that. I have not tried it yet, but heard that it was more "main stream" than "war gaming" like CMBO and the rest. Curious if the patches have changed something.

Cheers
Michael
03-06-2009, 01:51 AM,
Cant see the reason to jump on this train now, not with SFWW2 coming down the track.
03-06-2009, 02:14 AM,
Well one reason would be that SF WW2 is gonna run on the same engine. Be nice to have a little understanding of the UI before the WW2 version comes out.
03-06-2009, 03:25 AM,
Holy Hell is CMSF up to 11 patches now. Eek

How large are the patches?

cheers
03-06-2009, 07:02 AM,
CMBO had 11 or 12 patches I believe.
03-06-2009, 07:15 AM,
The last version of CMBO is 1.12, but I believe someone once indicated that there weren't actually 12 separate patches. Some of the version numbers were internal ones and weren't released to the public. Of course for all I know, the same might be true of CMSF.
03-10-2009, 06:15 AM,
I just got Bootie about two weeks ago. I waited this long due the the reported problems with initial release etc. I tried the new demo two weeks ago and was very interested in getting the full game. Bought the bundle which came with the "Marines Module."

That plus the latest patch puts version at 1.11.

Personally, I like it very much. There are some interesting calculations going on within the engine which give it a nice comparison with the depth we get with CMx1 series. The C2 functions are a hoot when playing as Syrians. Artillery support is quite well done and air support feature is pretty nice. One nice touch is the "radio chatter" the player hears when calling in artillery and/or air support from Blue side.

The Syrian players are definately at a disadvantage in terms of communications technology simulated (C2) and overall weapons sophistication but they do have some interesting TO&Es with the new Marine module added. I'm speaking specifically of the elite airborne special forces troops and equipment added to the game with the module. If the scenario builder does it right, the Syrians can indeed fight the U.S. troops to an advantage.

Trees and fauna now provide decent cover (LOS limitations) so one can use terrain to good advantage. Urban fighting is some of the best I've ever experienced in a tactical simulation and to see it all in beautiful 3D, including each indivdual soldier in a squad is superb! Setting up commands and waypoints is done well but could use some more "order functions" IMHO although I'm still learning and in no way know all the features yet. I'm still discovering some pretty cool stuff as we speak here. For example, soldiers using night vision equipment definately have an advantage in night time scenarios. You see the difference in gameplay in terms of what is discovered by what side.

I've noticed map sizes are getting bigger. Tried one the other day (an armor fight) on a map which was 3100 meters by 2800 meters so I was able to have a maneuvering fight. The Syrian T-90 can put up a fight with the M1s.

I am really looking forward to British module which will be coming out in the near future, not to mention that the new WW2 CM module coming up. I think the improvements and fixes with this series will keep it around for quite a while.

Just my opinion of course.
03-11-2009, 10:59 AM,
Are the latest patches incremental or not.....i dont mind downloading/installing one patch but i cant be arsed with downloading 12 patches. Big Grin

cheers
03-11-2009, 11:51 AM,
I believe it is partly incremental as in you need to patch a couple of times but certainly not 12.

Gamersgate has Shock Force as its game of the week. Cheap as chips.

http://www.gamersgate.com/?page=product&...=DDB-CMLEI