• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CMMODS Closing!!
03-12-2009, 04:26 AM,
CMMODS Closing!!
http://cmmods.com/

Apparently CMMODS is shutting down soon.

This is a blow for the community.

This ties in with the news that Battlefront are hosting a file repository....

Do you think this goes hand in hand??
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2009, 05:15 AM,
RE: CMMODS Closing!!
Being a massive Modslut this is terrible news, i'd better make sure i keep the dozen or so CD's filled with mods safe and sound now. :eek1:

cheers
03-12-2009, 06:43 AM,
I've got them all also..............
Send this user an email
03-12-2009, 08:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-12-2009, 08:05 AM by raz_atoth.)
That's sad news indeed.All is not lost,though :) I'm just wondering since we have plenty of space,wouldn't it be possible to store the mods here at theblitz?Perhaps the CMMODS's owner would be willing to give us the database and the files?Or,a community effort to download all mods then store them on the blitz?Would there be any legal implications?
Send this user an email
03-13-2009, 09:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-13-2009, 09:35 PM by fluidwill.)
I think thats a brilliant idea. Is anybody close to, is it Green as Jade who runs it? GAJ?
He seems pretty community focused, I'm sure he'd let us have a copy.
03-14-2009, 02:21 AM,
It'd be great if they could just defer all the files to someone with the proper hosting.
03-15-2009, 06:28 AM,
Is anyone following up on this?

I feel strongly that the Mod database is a valuable community resource and would love it if we could host it here at the Blitz.

Is it truly feasible, Raz? Anyone?
03-15-2009, 07:17 AM,
Technically speaking it's feasible.We have the required space even if the database is as big as 60GB as said here:
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?opt...Itemid=259
The question is if there might be any legal issues regarding the transfer-assuming there will be any.AS i see it there are two possible options:
a)The CMMODS owner agrees to the transfer.Question:legally speaking do we have to have the permission from each mod author to store his mods or his consent will be implicitly assumed?
b)The CMMODS owner doesn't agree to the transfer and we simply download the files and store them on our server.Question:wouldn't this qualify as stealing?
Send this user an email
03-15-2009, 09:50 AM,
Many mods there have a license that doesn't allow you to transfer them to a new host without the author's permission.

Redwolf pointed this out over at the BF forum.
03-15-2009, 11:04 AM,
I'd better get downloading all the mods i still dont have then. :(