• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Opponent's Flags
10-02-2009, 10:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-02-2009, 10:08 AM by Mad Baron.)
Opponent's Flags
I have been curious, and don't recall what the flags looked like when I had a square monitor (current monitor is rectangular--and I know the game graphics get at least a little stretch, which you get used to).

Anyway, does the horizontal length of the player's flags mean anything? In my attachment, the Italian flag is not as long as the Soviet flag. Does this mean anything, like the Soviet force is larger numerically? Game just started, and both sides had 2000 purchase points, and there has been no contact yet.

But I am just wondering if the flag length means anything, or is maybe just a product of the graphics stretched a little? :conf:

Attached Files
.jpg   players_flags.jpg (Size: 105.75 KB / Downloads: 29)
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2009, 11:26 AM,
RE: Opponent's Flags
I don't see any flags in your attachment but I'm sure it doesn't mean anything...the only thing that means anything is big flag = 300 points, little flag = 100 points.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
10-02-2009, 01:28 PM,
The flags in my previous attachment were at the bottom of the screen.

Here's a new screen shot to show what I mean. Italian flag is smaller than Soviet. Does that mean anything, game-wise?

:conf:

Attached Files
.jpg   flags.jpg (Size: 72.05 KB / Downloads: 39)
10-02-2009, 02:21 PM,
No, the size of those doesn't mean anything...
10-02-2009, 09:48 PM,
No they don't mean anything, if the force size has been altered (IE one side been given a handicap) it comes up with a warning screen when you start your setup to make sure you know :)
10-05-2009, 09:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-05-2009, 10:04 AM by Mad Baron.)
I had thought the previous comments held some weight...but have been doing some random additional testing since.

A smaller force numerically, or total points-spent, or perhaps something else to consider (force quality? type? etc.), seems to be indicated by the different sizes of the two major flags on the bottom screen bar.

Maybe those flags portray estimated winning odds, one side against the other that game, all else being even?

Whatever the case, the flag sizes on the bottom screen bar DO mean something.

(Just trying to do the Bletchley Park side of things....) :)
10-05-2009, 11:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-05-2009, 11:05 AM by Der Kuenstler.)
I just set up a quick battle in CMBB - a Russian assault. I Gave the Russians over 5000 points worth of stuff and then I gave the Germans one platoon of infantry. But look - the Russian flag is smaller! It was smaller when I did it the other way too - no change. I think it's just the flag icon size that's in your BMP file that determines the control panel flag size and nothing else.

[Image: size.jpg]
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
10-05-2009, 12:23 PM,
You are starting to convince me. Larger and smaller menu flags aren't just in my game; you have them, too. Still, odd that they appear in different sizes in all games, left or right side. And the different sizes meaning nothing at all?

:conf:
10-05-2009, 12:56 PM,
Could it be the different flag mods we use have different sized flags and they are showing up in the menu that way? Does anyone have a stock CMBB install to check it on?
10-05-2009, 01:47 PM,
My game is fairly stock, and I got a smaller German flag, even though they have way more points in units then does the Russian side.
[Image: test-1.jpg]