• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

grenades
06-01-2010, 06:27 AM,
grenades
Hi,

After all these years of CM, i always wondering what is the real function of grenades in this game :

- they seem unlimited and the quantity indicated by the game doesn't represent the exact quantity men can use.
- Men use them on their own control, out of player control. They do that during fight hazardously, and not during remarkable situations or special events they meet.
- grenades seem to have no impact on the target except a very low explosion. No additional casualties, no fixed units, no retreat or something like that.

So, what is your experience about them and what do you think ?

greetings.
Jawsconan
Idiots dare everything. That is the way to recognize them (Michel Audiard)
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2010, 06:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2010, 06:54 AM by Splork.)
RE: grenades
- I don't think they're unlimited - iirc, each grenade in the little unit status box = 2 grenades.

- They're definitely out of player control - tacAI handles grenade use.

- not sure about effect on infantry, but they do come into play in close assaults on vehicles.

That's all I know...

Edit: a quick test in AK shows - each grenade in the status box = 5 grenades. Also, their effect on infantry appears to be a slight morale hit (e.g. OK to ALERTED). In about ten grenade chucks at a squad in scattered trees, there were no casualties caused.
06-01-2010, 07:23 AM,
They do seem to have a decent chance of knocking out tanks in close combat. More than I would think is realistic.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal[Image: pzV.jpg]
06-01-2010, 07:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2010, 07:30 AM by Barre.)
(06-01-2010, 07:23 AM)Jobu88 Wrote: They do seem to have a decent chance of knocking out tanks in close combat. More than I would think is realistic.

Handgrenades in reality have very little to no chance of damaging tanks let alone knock them out, the explosive charge simply is too small to even make a dent, if your lucky you can scratch the paint before the tank mg's open up.
06-01-2010, 07:34 AM,
(06-01-2010, 07:30 AM)Barre Wrote:
(06-01-2010, 07:23 AM)Jobu88 Wrote: They do seem to have a decent chance of knocking out tanks in close combat. More than I would think is realistic.

Handgrenades in reality have very little to no chance of damaging tanks let alone knock them out, the explosive charge simply is too small to even make a dent, if your lucky you can scratch the paint before the tank mg's open up.

I'm assuming you mean in RL, as I've found infantry grenade attacks (too?) effective in the game.

Although I've heard it said that an infantry squad grenading a tank in the game is meant to simulate a close assault that is, presumably, something somewhat more complicated than just hucking a grenade at the side of a tank.
06-01-2010, 09:13 AM,
(06-01-2010, 07:34 AM)Splork Wrote: Although I've heard it said that an infantry squad grenading a tank in the game is meant to simulate a close assault that is, presumably, something somewhat more complicated than just hucking a grenade at the side of a tank.

Not sure what CM does...
In RL combat for WW2, it is more like placing a bundle of grenades on the tracks and breaking those tracks to immobilize the tank. no need to toss them, especially in an urban setting or if the tank was crossing your trench.

Also, war games have used the term grenades very loosely to show the effect of Molitov cocktails, hand placed mines, and AT SCW with magnets when placed by infantry on tanks. Grenades will be quite effective on OT AFV. And there is the rare chance in congested terrain that a soldier could pop up close enough to shove the grenade into an open vision slit on a tank.

It all depends on the vehicle. T-26 AVFs were very vulnerable to Finnish infantry with little more than grenades in the Winter War of 1939 due to a large exhaust vent in the rear of the tank.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
06-01-2010, 12:13 PM,
(06-01-2010, 09:13 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote:
(06-01-2010, 07:34 AM)Splork Wrote: Although I've heard it said that an infantry squad grenading a tank in the game is meant to simulate a close assault that is, presumably, something somewhat more complicated than just hucking a grenade at the side of a tank.

Not sure what CM does...
In RL combat for WW2, it is more like placing a bundle of grenades on the tracks and breaking those tracks to immobilize the tank. no need to toss them, especially in an urban setting or if the tank was crossing your trench.

Also, war games have used the term grenades very loosely to show the effect of Molitov cocktails, hand placed mines, and AT SCW with magnets when placed by infantry on tanks. Grenades will be quite effective on OT AFV. And there is the rare chance in congested terrain that a soldier could pop up close enough to shove the grenade into an open vision slit on a tank.

It all depends on the vehicle. T-26 AVFs were very vulnerable to Finnish infantry with little more than grenades in the Winter War of 1939 due to a large exhaust vent in the rear of the tank.

Dog Soldier

T-26 was vulnerable to little boys with sling shot. :laughing:
06-02-2010, 12:36 AM,
I am a bit surprised: grenade sure often do some damage to infantry when tossed at squads...
06-02-2010, 04:31 AM,
Well, i can read some intersting comments here.
Manuel doesn't mention them.
the only positive experience i have with grenades on armoured vehicules was during a game in early years of war with the following situation :
a reduced british units was hidden on the top of a building. An enemy PSW222 came and hid itself near the wall of the same building. My unit, with only 1 grenade left, threw it on the roof of the vehicule and destroy it !
but that is the only time on a total on about 160 games that a greande was effective against armoured.
I am especially interested to know what are their effects on enemy infantry units (during a close fight for exemple).

greetings
Idiots dare everything. That is the way to recognize them (Michel Audiard)
06-02-2010, 12:31 PM,
(06-01-2010, 12:13 PM)Panama Wrote: T-26 was vulnerable to little boys with sling shot. :laughing:

Sure, but I almost never take the 'boy with slingshot' in a QB - the rarity cost on those suckers is WAY too high.