• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Competition & Teaser Thread
02-11-2014, 10:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2014, 10:40 PM by ComradeP.)
RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread
Hmm, that complicates things as according to the OOB I found, at Kursk no regular Tank Corps initially had a Guards Mortar unit attached to it, but that might've happened later. Maybe it isn't there because it's smaller than a battalion, that's a possibility.

By the way Xaver, there is another obvious thing we haven't done yet. I've already placed the III Panzer Korps commanders at Zitadelle, but the regimental commanders with different pictures (indicating they were killed or replaced) can also be used.

The commander of 6th Panzer Division's 11th Panzer Regiment, Oberst Hermmann von Oppeln-Bronikowski, was seriously wounded by friendly aircraft and gave up command to Oberst Dr Franze Baeke (more well known from the Korsun battles) on the 13th of July.
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2014, 11:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2014, 11:30 PM by Tide1.)
(02-11-2014, 10:29 PM)tazaaron Wrote:
(02-11-2014, 02:34 PM)Liebchen Wrote:
(02-11-2014, 01:56 PM)Tide1 Wrote: If you mean what is the difference between a regiment and a brigade it would be that a brigade has a few more units than a regiment. basically a beefed up regiment.

A brigade is also usually an independent organization, whereas a regiment is usually part of a division. At least, that's always been my observation; I can't say that it is part of their definitions.

In Soviet structure in more modern times a brigade is usually bigger but the important thing is a brigade is parted out to support other units while a regiment fights as a whole.

Thats why in most cases you have engineer brigades and such at army level to part out to the divisions and engineer regiments are a different org that fight as a whole.

As manuver units go ull never see a bde in a division, all rgt. Rgt are assigned to divisions and bde are independent. Take the Soviet bde facing berlin, not only bigger than a rgt in a division with an extra tank bn but called a bde because its independent.

Your right of course. I was in a Armored Cav Regiment and that was an independent unit with engineers and AAA assigned.
The Berlin Brigade was my first choice for assignment back in the day.

(02-11-2014, 08:13 PM)Xaver Wrote: Thanks for the pics Strela, i am ready with my laboraty of frankenmods hehehe, i am going to do some cut+paste work maybe add to minifields Jison minefield icon (over the mines the panel) and of course repaint the defensive works borders, is not a problem with the colours used is more a personal feeling, after years where i see yellow as IP and green as trench... and after touch this leave bunkers/pillboxes stock ... well depends.

Well, in the last days appear info that made ComradeP and me doubt about or sure "PzB Kursk South flank" prediction... i feel like a mouse used by cats as toy Big Grin2

Brigade or regiment... well, brigades are usually independent formations, they are like minidivisions with all support units like in a division but in smaller scale, regiments has less support units even when they can fight alone they are more dependent of division to receive support (heavy arty, AAA, technical support...), of course are exceptions and depend a lot of period and army for example you have soviet infantry brigades in 1942 that work as total independent units with their own arty, and support units and the british brigades, they can fight alone but they are part of a division and are not 100% independent... in UK case i feel like when i read about the ACW regiments... they where in all aspects battalions but they were named as regiments, something like germans and the stug brigades in name, battalions in equipment.

In the end the only diference in PzC game (and i think in PzB to) between a brigade and a regiment could be the command range in HQ and the size... apart the unit symbol, x is a brigade HQ and III a regimental HQ, well, in PzC there is other diference, usually regiments doesnt have HQ and brigades allways have one but not in all titles.

PD: an example of my franken mods... i dont know if you see Volcanoman Nap mods... well, he create a NATO icon model for infantry in green, red for arty and gold for mounted units... well, i cut this icons and use them in EAW, ACW and REN and looks fine for me.

Nap
[Image: UO0014.jpg]
ACW
[Image: UO0018.jpg]
REN
[Image: UO0035.jpg]

I like the ACW picture the best.. very colorful :) after years of looking at the standard colors :)
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
02-12-2014, 12:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2014, 12:21 AM by Xaver.)
Well, is not hard have it, you need cut the full NATO images in Volcanoman nap mods in 2DSymbolsLg.bmp file and paste in the 2DSymbolsLg.bmp where you want it the only problem is you need repaint the image background and well, i dont remember do this in the supply unit and you can see 2 colours hehehe.

I know that game cover Kursk, the question is how many??? sure south flank but... north flank to??? and post battles after Citadele being canceled???

lets see, but i have the feeling we are going to know it in weeks (when i say weeks i think 3, 4 are a month hahaha).

Oooo then game only have scens, no campaign system... well, for me is not a great problem but maybe i like see a scen covering full campaign, now is not like PzC monster campaigns and PzB looks good to cover full battle in a scen.
02-12-2014, 12:37 AM,
(02-12-2014, 12:20 AM)Xaver Wrote: Well, is not hard have it, you need cut the full NATO images in Volcanoman nap mods in 2DSymbolsLg.bmp file and paste in the 2DSymbolsLg.bmp where you want it the only problem is you need repaint the image background and well, i dont remember do this in the supply unit and you can see 2 colours hehehe.

I know that game cover Kursk, the question is how many??? sure south flank but... north flank to??? and post battles after Citadele being canceled???

lets see, but i have the feeling we are going to know it in weeks (when i say weeks i think 3, 4 are a month hahaha).

Oooo then game only have scens, no campaign system... well, for me is not a great problem but maybe i like see a scen covering full campaign, now is not like PzC monster campaigns and PzB looks good to cover full battle in a scen.

We had a reference scenario but it was not for play. It was one mother big scenario. That said I did make scenarios in CS East Front for the 9th army and the 5th GTA. It is possible Helmet Wink
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
02-12-2014, 02:09 AM,
More than one Army has Bdes and Rgts. In ww2, when a Rgt acted independent, it was a RCT with a few more assets than just the three combat bns. U.S. Armored Divs had CCA, B and R. They were Bdes, but IMO, it was because the bns in the div would be mixed and matched at any given time. R was intended for units that needed a rest while A and B were supposed to be the combat elements. The Germans had KGs and the U.S. had Task Forces. In the end, it really boils down to the units, the situation and the Cdr's decision.
02-12-2014, 02:45 AM,
Hello:

Pardon my ignorance. What would turning on Divisional markings do to the graphic below?

Thanks,

Gerry
(02-11-2014, 07:09 PM)Strela Wrote: Here are examples of each Nationality at 1 to 1 size (Divisional markings are off);

[Image: 0fdf3b7216PB%20Graphics%2070.png]

David
02-12-2014, 03:11 AM,
(02-12-2014, 02:45 AM)GerryM Wrote: Hello:

Pardon my ignorance. What would turning on Divisional markings do to the graphic below?

Thanks,

Gerry

The NATO symbol on the counter is colour coded. Here is an example at 1 to 1 size;

[Image: 9e3e6b2622PB%20Graphics%2072.png]

And here it is at double size;

[Image: d308bcb169PB%20Graphics%2073.png]

David
02-12-2014, 03:47 AM,
Just wondering with the smaller scale compared to PzC, it would seem nice to have lower-level markings as in Battalion-level markings for the smaller scenarios. This could be an option, so players could choose which level of organization they wanted highlighted.

Gerry
02-12-2014, 06:09 AM,
After checking two books, I am sort of out of ideas what Soviet operation is covered in that large scenario. As I see it, there are only two options: Prokhorovka, which doesn't match the road, or a hypothetical scenario involving Vatutin's intended attack on the 6th, before the SS crossed the Belgorod-Oboyan road.
02-12-2014, 07:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2014, 07:55 AM by Tide1.)
(02-12-2014, 06:09 AM)ComradeP Wrote: After checking two books, I am sort of out of ideas what Soviet operation is covered in that large scenario. As I see it, there are only two options: Prokhorovka, which doesn't match the road, or a hypothetical scenario involving Vatutin's intended attack on the 6th, before the SS crossed the Belgorod-Oboyan road.

Nope not a hypothetical Rolling Eyes I don't dare say I think David would want to Whistle
Looking at the planning maps that road shows just fine.
The planning maps are really nice. Jason Petho would make you pay for them :)