• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Smolensk '43 released
09-14-2024, 12:54 AM,
Smolensk '43 released
It has a problem with the jump map. The jump map does not close after the main map moves to the location selected. You have to manually close it. Seems like a rather obvious bug to miss.
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2024, 01:21 AM,
RE: Smolensk '43 released
(09-14-2024, 12:54 AM)Bioman Wrote: It has a problem with the jump map. The jump map does not close after the main map moves to the location selected. You have to manually close it. Seems like a rather obvious bug to miss.

I believe it is a feature, not a bug.  Version 4.05 makes the jump map dialog non-modal so it can be left open during play.
09-14-2024, 03:43 AM,
It is a bit disconcerting after 25 years of it closing but once you get used to the numerous non-modal windows, they are great. WDS covered all of this in some of their recent blog posts, such as running them on a separate monitor to keep the game map clear, but having immediate access to these other pop ups at the same time.
[Image: exercise.png]
09-14-2024, 03:48 AM,
Note also, I just verified that I remember correctly, the change log that is presented after install lists this and the other windows that are now non-modal meaning they can stay open - I guess it is not exactly clear that they will stay open but that is basically the net result. You can move/close them as desired, but takes you to do that.
09-14-2024, 11:59 PM,
I guess I missed that post. Non model screens are great if you have more than one monitor but are a pain if you don't. The jump map being open on a small map is not a problem as it is very small. However on the large scenarios it takes up too screen area and makes it very difficult to do or see anything with it open.. It seems that this is a fix for a nonexistent problem. They should be made optional.
09-15-2024, 10:01 AM,
They are at least sort of optional, versus before where there was no choice, they had to all be closed. You can close them manually, that seems optional to me, although maybe not what you meant. It would definitely add some complexity to offer the user the choice of keeping them open or closed as before, by default, by window, etc. Not impossible, so maybe something WDS would look at, but for now you can simply close them when done looking at or using them.

Many of them required manually closing or clicking okay to close them anyway, once you were done, it is just that now you can move them where you want or close them, your choice but for most no extra work to close - jump map is a bit different but a single extra click for now isn't too bad, at least to me.
09-15-2024, 10:41 PM,
I really like the feature. Perhaps making the shortcut key toggle the window open or closed would make it even better.
09-15-2024, 11:07 PM,
Keep everything as is, with that option if somebody wants it. Doesn't make sense to force everybody into something they may not want.
09-16-2024, 08:39 PM,
There will be a 4.05.1 update which will mean Right-clicking on the Jump Map will mimic Left-click behaviour but will additionally hide the Jump Map window.

There are no plans to change the other dialogs which always involved closing with another action.
WDS Lead Programmer https://wargameds.com/
09-16-2024, 09:32 PM,
The modal windows will take some getting used to, but aside from the command report all windows are opened by the player. For now, I'm happy that I can select units on the map with the command report open.