• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bogging
08-14-2006, 11:07 PM,
Bogging
This question has probably been asked several times over the last few years, but if it has I've missed it and therefore I'm going to ask it again.

Up until very recently the vast majority of my games have been played in dry conditions, but I've played a couple recently either in the wet or snow.

As such I've now encountered the joys of having my AFV's bogging in the most inconveniant of times, and places.

I was wondering therefore;

a) apart from ground pressure, are there actions which are more or less likely to get a vehicle bogged, e.g. moving at 'hunt' or moving at 'fast'? and;
b) once bogged are there actions which are more likely to un-bog them, e.g. reversing, moving at 'hunt, etc? or;
c) is it all just down to random chance?
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-2006, 12:44 AM,
RE: Bogging
Hi! I have enclosed below an exerpt from a previous reponse to this question on the Message Board for your info! Not sure who made it!

Page 30 of the CMBO Manual also has a discussion regarding Bogging, as does page 21 of the CMBB Manual!

My personal experience with bogging has shown me to not move vehicles fast, use only the move/hunt/contact commands!, avoid potential bogging areas if possible,i.e. shoulders of roads, soft ground, marshes, grain fields, deep snow, etc., and stay on hard surfaced roads if possible, make no sharpe turns, avoid high ground pressure vehicles in a QBs. Track vehicles usually do better than wheeled vehicles in avoiding bogging!

Hope this helps!

UnBogging Vehicles:
Unbogging a tank can be achieved by cancelling its movement order and putting it in reverse for a very short distance. You can also just cancel the movement order and let it sit and eventually if it does not throw a tread it will unbog. I've never tried running into it with another tank to see it that frees it, might be a good experiment in another game.

Ivan/Shep!The "HOG Ranger and Balkan Warrior" Still Riding the "Winds of Change" on the Dubrovnik Front!
08-15-2006, 12:58 AM,
Check over on the forums on Battlefront.com, there are many discussions of bogging, how to avoid it, tests, statistics, etc.

Here are some theories:

1. Always move Fast, to spend the least possible amount of time on bog-inducing conditions (kind of like driving fast to get to a gas station when you're running out of gas, but many swear by it).

2. Never move Fast. (The manual says Fast will increase the chance of bogging.)

2. Avoid gulleys.

3. If bogged, reverse to unbog. Or do nothing for a turn. (Both have worked me.)

4. If bogged, use another heavy vehicle to push the bogged vehicle. (Many swear by this one, too.)

5. Anything above 13 psi seems to bog easily in Scattered trees---Shermans and Mark III's. Avoid moving through scattered trees unless absolutely necessary. (T-34s seem to cut through Scattered trees like it's butter.)

6. Use tanks like artillery and never move them.

7. It's all random, and there's not much you can do to avoid it.

8. It's unclear whether any of the above is actually built into the game's programming.

08-15-2006, 01:38 AM,
Hmm, avoiding areas in which you are likely to bog is obvious, however the guidance on what to do to reduce the chances of bogging does seem somewhat contradictory, 'always move at hunt', 'always move fast'!
08-15-2006, 09:17 AM,
Playing a B&T Battle..."Hitlers Son"...
three tanks bogged,but rest moving fast/hunt orders working ok...
I think take the chance,move as fast as you need to...
to worry about bog,makes it worse then it is...
lol
as i sit with 3 tanks Bogged and out of sight of Germans...lol

GoM

08-15-2006, 09:36 AM,
When the conditions are anything other than dry, I refrain from anything other than Move or Hunt orders for my larger and heavier AFV's. If it's muddy or deep snow, I would really think twice (or thrice) about moving the heaviest off of roads altogether (think Tigers and such). Once you notice a bogged vehicle, giving a short Reverse order will do the trick about half the time. That isn't a scientifically achieved number, just my guesstimate of success rates. YMMV.

Mike
08-15-2006, 12:05 PM,
I can safely report, based on the statistically conclusive *cough* sample of a whole one occasion, that bashing a vehicle real hard with a following vehicle will unbog it. That was in the Gothic Line: Jump Off scenario, a bog fest if ever there was one, with vehicles boggin and/or immobilising in the middle of the road. Was pleasantly surprised to see the following vehicle (said scenario also involves some excellent traffic james) bash my halftrack back to movement....pity it couldn't do the same for the other halftrack, the scout car, the M10...grrrr.