• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CM - The Next generation - Debate
10-07-2006, 06:05 AM,
CM - The Next generation - Debate
The next Gen of CM in the guise of Shock Force is approching and if you read the BF website it is sometimes interesting, and sometimes banal.

However CM is set to change, for better or worse depending on your outlook.

The gist of it is, as far as I can garner the following;

It will be a 1-1 representation of forces.

It has been designed primarily as RTS, but in single player has the ability to pause to issue orders.

The graphics will be modern, but still be able to be Modded.

There will not be a PBEM option, and from what I can surmise, online will be RTS as I dont think there will be a pause option to issue orders.

So, as some of you may know, I have been playing Company of heroes lately, a very diffrent game I know, but graphically and representationally I think this is how the next CM will look and feel. I dont think BF will be able to make it look any better as they just dont have the big company resources.

To move forwards, when this game is brought out, I suppose we will have to play it here, so will it be added as a CM game on the ladder, or something else, or has this even been thought about yet?

I'm all for it, but still have certain reservations about finding time to play it. However, this apparently is the future of gaming and I for one will be embracing it as I think this is the way forward. RTS will give us what I think will be a great leveller - no chance to mull over a PBEM turn for 5 hours. It will be action and reaction in real time, just like it is in the real world of battles and will sort the men from the boys!
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2006, 01:12 PM,
RE: CM - The Next generation - Debate
I thought PBEM was still up in the air, but leaning toward probably. If you can't PBEM, probably won't play - I can rarely commit the time to play a whole battle at once, even if it will be quicker.
10-07-2006, 04:15 PM,
Last I heard they had implemented the WEGO system as well as semi-real time. PBEM wasn't yet in, but wasn't thought to be a problem, except that they had to look at some way of reducing the save file size. The real problem with PBEM, as I understood it, was getting the WEGO system up and running, the rest is not so hard.
10-08-2006, 02:13 AM,
I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to "serious" wargaming. That that I do have will never be expended against the AI over .pbem. After playing human opponents there is no going back...ever.

No .pbem, no mTk. Sorry Battlefront.
10-08-2006, 06:25 PM,
RE:��CM - The Next generation - Debate
10-08-2006, 07:46 PM,
Battlefront.com
Administrator
Member # 42

- posted September 30, 2006 05:34 PM Profile for Battlefront.com Author's Homepage Email Battlefront.com Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote Just thought I'd let you know that as of last night CM:SF is now both RealTime and WeGo [Big Grin] Yup, WeGo was finished up last night and I've taken it for a quick spin already. It's pretty slick, but since it's pretty much what you've been playing for the last 7 years there isn't much more to say about it other than it's in and working.

Now Charles can get back to putting in terrain graphics and models so we can get you some screenshots [Big Grin]

Steve Posts: 12082 | Registered: May 1999 | IP: Logged
Vanir Ausf B
Member # 5261

- posted September 30, 2006 05:45 PM Profile for Vanir Ausf B Email Vanir Ausf B Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote

quote:there isn't much more to say about it other than it's in and working.

Except for the inevitable questions regarding PBEM [Wink]

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Battlefront.com
Administrator
Member # 42

- posted September 30, 2006 05:51 PM Profile for Battlefront.com Author's Homepage Email Battlefront.com Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote Already expected, already prepared to ignore it [Razz]

Awe heck... I'll at least say that we'll know fairly soon and so far we don't see any reason why it would be left out. However, that's what we've said since the very first day of the very first heated discussion, so I'm really not saying anything new.

Steve
10-08-2006, 11:28 PM,
Agreed, WEGO does look like its there, but I really suspect its for single player mode. I dont think I would play WEGO in a live match anyway. Some guys Ive played IP have taken ages to do there turns, so much so that I have had to terminate the game.

I think it may just sort out the men from the boys when it comes real life play.
10-09-2006, 06:14 AM,
Taking out WEGO turns CM from a stategy game into a clickfest. If taking too long is the problem, it's easy to set a time limit. For me, the fun is gone if it's just about clicking out orders in RT and learning hotkeys. Of course, could be there's a strong desire for RTS CM out there, and I'm in the minority. I guess everyone is entitled to play it the way they like it best - I think it'd be sad for a lot of people if WEGO/PBEM was no longer an option. But it seems like they're leaning toward keeping it in, so I guess we'll just have to fight it out with potential opponents how each game will be played - easy enough, I guess.
10-09-2006, 08:32 PM,
I agree, if you are worried about players taking too long for their turns then an agreed time limit can be set.

Do not see a legitimate reason why WEGO should be removed, and I too do not have the time to play a full battle in real-time so I wouldn't be buying it either if it's not there.
10-09-2006, 09:31 PM,
Why would you need a time limit if its full RTS in an IP game? Why would you need to pause at all? One of the main things that make the WEGO system a failure in IP is the whole unreality of the event. Sure its excellent for PBEM play, and if PBEM is in (which I hope it will be) thats great.

But why have it for IP? I'm sure a Company sized game can be played without a clickfest. After all its still a clickfest now if you play using the timer, no difference really.

The new game will be much more fluid and immediate in RTS mode, more like proper combat.

Where will it fit in with the current games though? Will it be added to this ladder as it is a CM game?