• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Game length
12-19-2006, 03:39 PM,
Game length
Got a question:

In an attack/defend QB, one of the key balancing factors is turn length. I think it is generally accepted that the longer the game, the more the attacker is favored.

My question: what do you consider a 'fair' game length in an attack/defend QB?

Obviously the other parameters matter as well, so assume a med. map, moderate trees, mod hills, village, non extreme weather/lighting conditions, variable ending. I'd be interested in anyone else's thoughts...
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2006, 11:53 PM,
RE: Game length
Game length is one of the major balancing factors of any and all scenarios. Therefore I despise variable game endings. No matter what the excuse, for their being, etc.. :-)
12-20-2006, 09:40 AM,
Playing desert games with Limey's grids makes me look at the field of battle as an American football field. If I kick a last second field goal (capture the flag as turns run out) I win. No matter that if my opponent gets the ball again, he will rush down the field in a hurry and score a touchdown because my defensive unit is decimated by injury.
While I might not suggest variable endings for american football, I like them in CM. The Buffalo Bills "rushed the flag" with their no huddle offense in that superbowl against the Giants. Wide Right!!!
12-20-2006, 01:14 PM,
RE:��Game length
Soldier Wrote:Game length is one of the major balancing factors of any and all scenarios. Therefore I despise variable game endings. No matter what the excuse, for their being, etc.. :-)

Soldier - I here what you're saying. Nonetheless, I find fixed turn QBs way too open to gamey abuse - lot of 'shell the flag 5 turns from the end and rush' sort of stuff.

Anyway, question still stands - what do you think a fair turn length is on attack/defend, variable or no? Or is everyone playing scenarios and ME QBs out there?
12-20-2006, 04:25 PM,
I think it depends on your map, weather, time of day and whether it is a probe, attack, or assault. Too many variables to have a set answer.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-20-2006, 11:17 PM,
Game lenght in Attack/Defend:

1000 pts, med map - 30 turns.
2000 pts, med map - 40 turns.
3000 pts, med map - 40 or 50 turns.

Sometimes I make them variable (30+ turns for 1000), but turns numbers are NEVER less those above.
12-21-2006, 01:28 AM,
RE: ��Game length
12-21-2006, 01:53 AM,
Soldier, could not agree with you more. I despise variable turn ending games. If one's defense cannot stand up to a possible flag-rush near the end of the game, well one shouldn't expect to win should he?

St Ruth, IMHO your suggested turn length for the points involved is pertty much twice what I would recommend. 3000 points and you need 50 turns to get it done? Whew.
12-21-2006, 02:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-21-2006, 01:54 PM by Soldier.)
Hey buddy.. glad to hear we do agree on something.. :-)
Regarding our new team game. Contacted my partner asking him to get started on designing a new map. I feel that the problem he had, might have had it's origins in the map you've provided, etc.
Possibly was designed under a different version!?
Anyway, thinking that if he's allowed to design the map, there's a good chance of no more problems with him viewing the movies, etc..
12-21-2006, 06:18 AM,
Using a 2k game as a starting point, I think 35+ gives a good length for probe/attack defend, 30+ can work but is getting a little rushed, goes better with probes than attacks. 25+ is fine for meeting engagements. 40+ for assaults.

There is no standard measure for length....there are players that like it much higher, and from Mtk's post above he plays shorter. Just another point for negotiation really.