• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Does anyone use PBEM Helper for CM?
01-14-2007, 06:17 AM,
Does anyone use PBEM Helper for CM?
I use this program with one of my Steel Panthers opps and find it's a great way to keep track of my game.

I would like to see my CM opps use it, too. Especially when a fellow has 4 or more games going like I do.

I've never used it with CM, but ( with opponents you can trust ) you can skip a file and speed up play.

Why don't more people use this?
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2007, 06:18 AM,
RE: Does anyone use PBEM Helper for CM?
I would say that the only reason someone wouldn't be using it would be that they aren't aware of it. I couldn't imagine playing five or eight games at a time without it.
01-14-2007, 06:25 AM,
Hell Ive got about 30 games on the go and dont use it... LOL

Bootie
01-14-2007, 06:47 AM,
same here, I have over 25 games on various ladders and don't use it.
I have heard it is a nice organizer tho, so I think anyone not PC literate in organizing your Emails should give it a spin.

Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
01-14-2007, 06:48 AM,
Organization isn't my strong suite, so anything that helps is appreciated. I like it since it makes it easy to see which games I have files to play or send, and the date the file was last updated.
01-14-2007, 06:55 AM,
I have 3 shortcut folders on my desktop leading to each of the PBEM folders... I just extract into these and it works a treat.

Bootie
01-14-2007, 10:09 AM,
If I had an opponent using it, wouldn't there game file have a .pbm suffix when their turn is attached to an email?
01-15-2007, 04:54 AM,
Not necessarily. With pbem helper you have the choice to send the files as plain text, zipped or in the pbm format. The pbm format is when both players are using pbem helper and it automates things more.
01-15-2007, 06:23 AM,
In CM I have been saving my received turns into the PBEM folder of either CMBB or CMAK, whichever is appropriate and playing without using the program.

Just today, I saved a game file into the optional PBEM folder and then opened PBEM Helper.
I dbl-clicked on the file to play it and it did open the game, but I still had to hit the multi-player button and load the email file. Didn't save me any time really.
I'll probably receive a few more turns today, so I'll try some other techniques.

I don't know that much about shortcuts, but if that mean that I wouldn't have to work my way through the hierachy of program files to get to the pbem folder found in each of the games then that might make it easier?
01-15-2007, 06:27 AM,
Definitley...open your windows explorer and navigate to the PBEM file... right click and select create shortcut... drag this to desktop.

Now when you open a file from an email.... save as... drop down menu... desktop and then just double click on the PBEM folder.... saves navigating into theprogram each time. I find it very helpful.

Bootie