• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What happened to the charge?
02-14-2007, 01:58 AM,
What happened to the charge?
Most of my CM games tend to be somewhat slow moving affairs as each side conducts recon and maneuvers with intermittent "plinking" of exposed guns, mortars, and armor and then finally either the opponents armor and ATGs are all neutralized leaving a end-game surge of infantry and armor to overrun objectives and eliminate remaining threats. This is especially so of QB MEs. Seems we patiently wait for the opponent to make mistakes, take advantage of those, and move in during the end phases of the game.

It's been a long time since I felt I could conduct rapid mounted assaults around a flank even using smoke and overwatch fires. Once in a blue moon the terrain supports such a move but not that often.

Everybody else kind of in the same boat or am I missing something or being too cautious? Are there any Panzer Leaders out there that enjoy a thrilling fast paced maneuver battle with success?

The last time I tried large scale mounted assault, Herrbixx tore me a new one in Dualing Sledgehammers in the first turns as I "swanned" the British over the battlefield. Having since reverted to skulking about and plinking his Panthers I am having more success.

Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2007, 02:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-14-2007, 02:03 AM by Fubar.)
RE: What happened to the charge?
If you want fast paced armoured games try playing in North Africa, i'm having great fun ATM playing several games set there. It's a shame most players dislike the theater in preference to heavy woods and lots of hills. Surely that's half the point of CMAK. Cry

Long live NA.

cheers
02-14-2007, 03:32 AM,
02-14-2007, 04:11 AM,
Okay, FUBAR, send me a file. Am playing Tiger Valley, a North African scenario, and you would think with Tigers things would move along, but the game has bogged down on the railroad embankment... no doubt due to my brilliant British defense ;)
02-14-2007, 10:34 AM,
Ask Lord Alfred Tennyson.

: )

Cheers!

Leto

02-14-2007, 11:11 AM,
You ran out of opponents who would accept QB, ME playing Soviets against your Germans in July '43?
02-14-2007, 01:18 PM,
More pragmatically, CM:

(a) simply doesn't give you the kind of local superiority in numbers that makes those tactics possible; and
(b) borg spotting makes the slow methodical advance very effective.
02-15-2007, 12:36 AM,
Anything left the open this game is very vunerable - ive just tried to advance across a 20 yard stretch and lost 20 men in in 30 seconds from conceled infantry and i feel realy stupid for doing it. I think that most decsice monents in this game are capitalising on your opponents mistakes - so the real skill is to spot where these may happenn and being prepared to exploit them - something im trying to learn
02-15-2007, 03:38 AM,
Well, you know what they say: "if the charge is executed successfully you are brilliant but it if fails you are stupid."
02-17-2007, 12:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-17-2007, 12:38 PM by Mad Baron.)

Attached Files
.jpg   large_map.JPG (Size: 75.8 KB / Downloads: 8)
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."