• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How to represent tunnel in CM design?
06-08-2007, 08:50 PM,
How to represent tunnel in CM design?
Okay I have two questions as a very inexperienced scenario designer:

1. Is there a Bridge at Remagan scenario out there somewhere, I have had a general look around and cannot seem to find one?

2. What would be the best advice for reflecting the tunnel in the hill at Remagen which has an opening at both sides of the hill? A pillbox could replicate it to some extent, but is there anything else I can do?

I plan to make the scenario semi-historical as the German defenders were heavily outnumbered in terms of armour (Pershings versus light AA guns on the hill). So I will suggest what if the German commanders had heeded the local commander's pleas for reinforcments and sent some armour to the bridge.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

cillmhor
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2007, 11:56 AM,
RE: How to represent tunnel in CM design?
Suggestion:
Lay tunnel route with open ended factory feature. If vehicles can't pass through then a road boardered with tall pines will provide a canopy and simulate a tunnel.
Then stack opposite sides of the factory (tunnel) with the steepest elevation along the length of the tunnel.
That would insure no LOS or traffic from the left, right or above the tunnel. Unless some infantry manages to reach the summit and shoot down?
Send this user an email
10-10-2007, 08:00 PM,
Mad Russian did a good job with Cliffs...
An Underground Partisan Battle he made with them,
It seems to work well...
GoM
12-03-2007, 01:07 PM,
cillmhor Wrote:Okay I have two questions as a very inexperienced scenario designer:

1. Is there a Bridge at Remagan scenario out there somewhere, I have had a general look around and cannot seem to find one?

2. What would be the best advice for reflecting the tunnel in the hill at Remagen which has an opening at both sides of the hill? A pillbox could replicate it to some extent, but is there anything else I can do?

I plan to make the scenario semi-historical as the German defenders were heavily outnumbered in terms of armour (Pershings versus light AA guns on the hill). So I will suggest what if the German commanders had heeded the local commander's pleas for reinforcments and sent some armour to the bridge.

Cheers

cillmhor

There are a couple of Bridge at Remagen scenarios at The Proving Grounds.

Good Hunting.

MR
12-03-2007, 01:08 PM,
gangofmao Wrote:Mad Russian did a good job with Cliffs...
An Underground Partisan Battle he made with them,
It seems to work well...
GoM

My entire battle takes place underground though so I didn't have to take into account troops above ground fighting.

Good Hunting.

MR
12-03-2007, 06:45 PM,
Mad Russian Wrote:
cillmhor Wrote:Okay I have two questions as a very inexperienced scenario designer:

Cheers

cillmhor

There are a couple of Bridge at Remagen scenarios at The Proving Grounds.

Good Hunting.

MR

Yes, one of them is mine:). The other one went up shortly after I put my one up. I do intend to go back and finish the scenario and put up an updated version. Thanks for the tip though.

Cheers

Cillmhor
12-04-2007, 11:13 AM,
cillmhor Wrote:2. What would be the best advice for reflecting the tunnel in the hill at Remagen which has an opening at both sides of the hill? A pillbox could replicate it to some extent, but is there anything else I can do?

Cheers

cillmhor

Will there be any reason for German troops to walk over the tunnel? Or could you make a factory "tube" in the hill that would allow movement through the hill from one side to the other.

If you add alot of German armor wouldn't that make it fictional instead of Semi-historical? It would the way I determine my battles. Maybe you have a different criteria.

Good Hunting.

MR
12-04-2007, 06:31 PM,
I in the end abandoned the idea of creating a "real" tunnel and represented it as a bunker instead, as movement in the tunnel was not crucial to the tactical objectives of the game, merely its being a strong point of German resistance.

Yes you are right, when I get around to updating the scenario (in other words when I get the time in the New Year) I will probably make it fictional. I will be posting over at TPG when the update is ready as Stoffel very kindly offered some constructive pointers as to how I could improve the scenario. I may attempt to create a semi-historical scenario in the future. The number of tanks on the German side was to be three or four from a formation which was in the area, giving the scenario a what-if flavour which in the strictest sense of the word would be "semi-historical". And on the American side more of the armour which was in the area appeared in the battle adding to the fictional flavour.

As I say once I get around to posting over at TPG in the New Year you can give me more feedback.

Cheers

Alasdair (cillmhor)
12-05-2007, 01:52 PM,
cillmhor Wrote:I in the end abandoned the idea of creating a "real" tunnel and represented it as a bunker instead, as movement in the tunnel was not crucial to the tactical objectives of the game, merely its being a strong point of German resistance.

Yes you are right, when I get around to updating the scenario (in other words when I get the time in the New Year) I will probably make it fictional. I will be posting over at TPG when the update is ready as Stoffel very kindly offered some constructive pointers as to how I could improve the scenario. I may attempt to create a semi-historical scenario in the future. The number of tanks on the German side was to be three or four from a formation which was in the area, giving the scenario a what-if flavour which in the strictest sense of the word would be "semi-historical". And on the American side more of the armour which was in the area appeared in the battle adding to the fictional flavour.

As I say once I get around to posting over at TPG in the New Year you can give me more feedback.

Cheers

Alasdair (cillmhor)

I look forward to it.

I'm always interested in Remagen Bridge scenarios since I've stood on the American side of the Rhine and looked across. At the time the bridge pilings were still in the middle of the river but no bridge was there any longer. Interesting that they would not rebuild the bridge but kept the pilings. Maybe they intended on rebuilding it at a later date.

Good Hunting.

MR