• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Blitz CMSF QB human-pick system
07-30-2007, 09:47 AM,
Blitz CMSF QB human-pick system
I am going to write up a format to have QBs where we (the players) select the units. Basically it will work like this:

1)Find an existing map that both players like
2)Delete the units for each side and save that as a QB scenario
3)Player1 Adds his units and send to player2.
4)Player2 Adds his units and saves and starts the game.

Limitations/Drawbacks:
-First it will have to be on the honor system, unless a third party adds the units, but that is cumbersome.
-Takes a little longer than CMx1 QB selection
-Special rules for experience, HQ bonuses, and special weapons.

What needs to be done:
1)Develop a blitz Price-list for units
2)Develop special rules for editing experience, HQ bonues, and special weapons
3)Detemine if we want to save the game as an actual scenario and enter into the blitz database, or just setup some system where a game could be reported as QB-tiny/QB-small/QB-medium/QB-2000 points, etc
4)Detemine a set period to adjust the points. No point system is perfect, but I am thinking we make a set of points and stick with it for a week or two. After the time is up, we adjust the points based on learned experiences from the game. After a couple of months we change and only adjust once a month.

I am going to create these rules, even if I just use them with my personal opponents. However if the blitz community wants, I can head-up and be in charge of managing something like this. It will be a work in progress and nobody will ever be completely happy with the point system. But IMO it is better than nothing - which is unfortunately what we have now. Or if somebody else wants to run the thing I will help them.
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2007, 10:16 AM,
RE: Blitz CMSF QB human-pick system
This seems like an extremely large and onerous task for what we have in CMX1 built into the framework of the game. What you propose is probably do-able, but for me, it really will be hard for me to get into. I have not d/l'd the game yet, but am waiting until the at least the first month of reviews to come in on it.

With respect to its realism, I think that CMSF has traded away its competitive gaming soul: the longevity and playability aspects.

My biggest fear is that this game will be taking good time away from people who should be returning their CMX1 turns... (hint hint)

; )

Cheers!

Leto
07-30-2007, 10:22 AM,
definitely will take away some portion of playability

And yes, this band-aid is nowhere near the ideal of being built into the system. But I want to pick units, and - assuming I am not the only one - surely we are smart enough to develop a system that is fair.

your turn is in the mail
07-30-2007, 11:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2007, 11:59 AM by jomni.)
Please do take note that current (unconventional) conflicts are harder to 'price'. You might give an insurgent RPG unit (one man?) low purchase points but they are very deadly when placed in an urban setting.

And with the current notion of lessening collateral damage, artillery is less used. The US did not bombard Baghdad to rubble when the attacked it (unlike the cities in WW2). Therefore they should be priced really high or not available for purchase at all in urban battles.

I'm pretty sure this gave Battlefront a hard time resulting into the current build of the game.
Send this user an email
07-30-2007, 12:20 PM,
RE:��Blitz CMSF QB human-pick system
07-30-2007, 12:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2007, 12:57 PM by Steel God.)
I'd like to drop a javelin on the BF HQs for some collateral..

In a nutshell, GSX summed it up well over on the BF forums, it's NOT CM, it's Shock Force, a simulation of modern warfare, and it's NOT a replacement for, or even an improvement of, Combat Mission.

It's a new game that copies all those other FPS and RTS sims, Nothing new really, because IMO, BF wanted to get a bigger market outside of wargaming grogs. I'll be surprised if they even do a WW2 game with this engine.

MOO2 was the best.. All hail the pslions.....

other games that has been ruined for the sake of improvement are CIV and Railroad tychoon.. Civ 2 was tops, everything else is just too much eye candy and too many game enhancing features.. same with RRT..

07-30-2007, 01:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2007, 01:17 PM by McIvan.)
07-30-2007, 01:26 PM,
So is anybody else interested in something like this?
07-30-2007, 01:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2007, 03:49 PM by Valor.)
I haven't played the game yet, so I suppose I shouldn't be commenting on it.

Cheers!

Leto

07-30-2007, 01:49 PM,
I'm interested in a CMx1 modern mod.
I like the flexibility of the old engine and less graphics demand.
I guess I'll still be playing SPMBT for a very long time. :)
Send this user an email