• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Gmail question...
11-18-2007, 02:08 AM,
Gmail question...
I am trying a gmail address in order to increase mail dependability - I know several of you use it. I get the mails OK, but now the prolem is about half of them come in with the turn in the actual body of the email instead of as an attachment. It also doesn't say what turn it is this way. When I try to "select all" and make a file out of it that I can move to my PBEM folder, it selects the whole gmail page. I would have to manually highlight the entire file (which takes forever), find what number it is supposed to be, rename it, then move it to PBEM folder - what a pain! What do you gmail users do to solve this?
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2007, 02:10 AM,
RE: Gmail question...
I use mozilla thunderbird to load gmail mails
Send this user an email
11-18-2007, 02:12 AM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:I am trying a gmail address in order to increase mail dependability - I know several of you use it. I get the mails OK, but now the prolem is about half of them come in with the turn in the actual body of the email instead of as an attachment. It also doesn't say what turn it is this way. When I try to "select all" and make a file out of it that I can move to my PBEM folder, it selects the whole gmail page. I would have to manually highlight the entire file (which takes forever), find what number it is supposed to be, rename it, then move it to PBEM folder - what a pain! What do you gmail users do to solve this?

Hi DK :)

I use Gmail, but have set it so it forwards my emails to Outlook and I can then get the files from Outlook with no problems.
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
11-18-2007, 02:15 AM,
I've been using Gmail for ages now and can't say i ever remember an attachment coming out pasted into the email. :conf:

cheers
11-18-2007, 02:39 AM,
I use mozilla thunderbird as well, but I've been having to zip everything I send as folks are having the same issues as Kelvin with my plain text attachments being embedded in the emails and they can't save them into the game folders.

Thunderbird, is however, MUCH better than Windows mail..

But I do miss my Outlook (not outlook express)
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
11-18-2007, 02:43 AM,
There is an attachment for thunderbird which installs a little zip buton which automatically zips the files.
11-18-2007, 03:10 AM,
I have had this problem as well, although it stopped occurring after my first couple of opponents. Not sure if there is a reason for that or if it was just coincidence. (I access my gmail through firefox, in case that matters.)

Anyway, here is what I did to capture the pbem data. I would first select the "show original" feature. It is located as part of the scroll down of options in that little triangle button next to "reply" at the top of the email message.

The "show original" gives you a text display. You can then place your cursor at the start of the pbem. Then control-shift-end to go all the way to the bottom of the text. You'll need to scroll up a couple of lines (while holding down shift and the up arrow) to get to the end of the pbem file. This gives you the entire pbem file in just a couple of key strokes which you can copy. It spares you the misery of dragging the scroll bar down.

Paste it into notepad (or something similar). Hit save as and save it to your pbem folder. You can also select the prior pbem file name, while in save as, to copy, paste and edit for the next file number.

This process is by no means ideal, but after you do it a couple of times, its relatively quick.

I hope this is helpful.
11-18-2007, 03:21 AM,
Thanks for the quick responses - I'm asking my opponents to zip their mails which lets me get the things open for now - Antoni I like the "forward to outlook" idea - I may try that first...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
11-18-2007, 03:30 AM,
der Kuenstler - better and safer is to use thunderbird
check it
it works very similar to outlookexpress
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/
Send this user an email
11-18-2007, 03:33 AM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:Thanks for the quick responses - I'm asking my opponents to zip their mails which lets me get the things open for now - Antoni I like the "forward to outlook" idea - I may try that first...

That is how I get my emails as my primary email addy is my gmail one !

If you need help give me a shout !
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West