• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Am I the only one to do this!!!!
11-27-2007, 07:12 PM,
Am I the only one to do this!!!!
If you dare admit to it...I got one Panther run over a Mine, Which is bad enough, A little later a second Panther came along, it was close to the same mine, which took that one out as well.

I have always thought that once that mine had done it's job all was safe.....So Gentlemen lesson learnt.

Age is a learning thing
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2007, 12:11 AM,
RE: Am I the only one to do this!!!!
Oh, THAT's why those two tanks are still sitting there :) Yeah, I've done that before too.

Yeah, mines remain until cleared by engineers. Normally, vehicles will not automatically roll over a minefield after the first vehicle hits, i.e. the remainder of the column will seek to go around (great for ambush because they start backing and turning) but if you subsequently set waypoints too close they will roll over it.:hissy:
11-28-2007, 01:16 AM,
Also the minefield is actually a 20 X 20 tile - bigger than the small sign in the middle of it....
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
11-28-2007, 02:00 AM,
Yeah I've just edited a bit into my 'Mine Kampf' tac post about how all kinds of mines stay 'live' and deadly for the rest of the game even if they exploded earlier -

MINE KAMPF https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...914&page=1
11-28-2007, 03:06 PM,
The more attacks a minefield makes the less effective it becomes though.

IRRC, the percentages of a mine attack go down with each attack it makes.

While attacking minefields I routinely run tanks over the same area until they start getting through it. Normally a minefield can be run without too much danger after it attacks twice.

Good Hunting.

MR
11-28-2007, 04:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-28-2007, 04:36 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
Minefields stay dangerous the whole game,they just keeps on exploding, but as Mad Russian said, the detonation chance seems to get lower and lower after each explosion as if the field is slowly depleting..
In this test I ran a bunch of panzers up and down the dirt road over the buried AT-minefield for 30 turns and they were being blown up at intervals over the whole 30 tns, the minefield exploded 13 times and destroyed or immobd all the 13 tanks in this pic.
PS - Interestingly, when the first tank was blown up, the rest of the column jammed their brakes on and auto-plotted routes around the mines, but when I then cancelled the plots and ordered them to go straight through the mines, they obeyed most of the time even though they were getting blown up..

[Image: mineblast.jpg]
11-28-2007, 04:17 PM,
Mad Russian Wrote:While attacking minefields I routinely run tanks over the same area until they start getting through it.

Sounds like a Russian commander - I think I'd rather go around... :0
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
11-29-2007, 12:35 AM,
Thank you Gentlemen for your input......Always appreciated

cheers Ted
11-29-2007, 01:40 AM,
Thanks I thought that there are 10 mines and one can detonate them by shelling or mortar fire ?
Send this user an email
11-29-2007, 03:41 AM,
CONFIRMATION - ARTILLERY CLEARS MINES

PIC 1 - A selection of German arty spotters of all calibres (81mm to 170mm) target the Russian buried AT-minefield at the crossroads. (They can't see it of course but we know it's there for the test)
[Image: Art-v-mines.jpg]

PIC 2 - After all the barrages end, the Panzer II's move straight through the minefield without exploding any, that's why the mine icon hasn't appeared on the map. Conclusion -the arty must have cleared the mines.
[Image: Art-v-mines2.jpg]

PIC 3 - The view from the Russian side shows their mine icon is still there and it looks quite normal, there's no way to tell it's empty and harmless.
(noob note - the Russian infantry in the woods mis-identify some of the Pz II's and think they're Pz III's, there's extreme fog-of-war for you, very realistic)
[Image: Art-v-mines3A.jpg]

PIC 4 - HOWEVER in this second test below I only fired an 81mm mortar barrage (total 150 rounds) but the minefield remained active and immobd the first panzer that tried to cross it, and the mine icon appears. (The rest jammed on their brakes as soon as it appeared and plotted around it)
CONCLUSION -Arty clears minefields but you need lots of medium or heavy-calibre shells to do it, so it's hardly worth bothering in most situations.
[Image: Art-v-mines5.jpg]

(PS - i'll add this post to the Mine Kampf thread in the tac forum)