• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Roadblock Removal
02-11-2008, 12:03 AM,
Roadblock Removal
Recently I was told that engineers/pioneers could remove an enemy roadblock in the course of a game by moving near or onto it and waiting for several turns. Can anyone confirm or deny? If it is true, what is the exact sequence that must be followed to make this happen. I personally thought they were immovable objects.

Lord Bane
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2008, 12:33 AM,
RE: Roadblock Removal
All of my sources say they are not removable.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
02-11-2008, 01:19 AM,
Yeah raodblocks can't be got rid of in any way, they're one of the most powerful units around for stopping tank attacks, especially on heavily-wooded maps where they can be strung across the gaps between woods and other impassable terrain to act as a great wall of china across the whole width of the map, or at the ends of bridges.
Thats why players should agree on strict roadblock purchase limits in self-buy QBs.

http://lightupload.com/video/crazy/1233/...rrier.html
02-11-2008, 03:55 AM,
Ha Ha...that is funny that you said that POS. That is exactly what I just did to an opponent. I used 32 Roadblocks (480 pts out of my 2000) to create a barrier. I was being generous though. I did leave a small gap (It had four AT mines in it and a TRP). Now that you are all thinking that I am being totally "gamey" let me tell you the rest of the story.
It was an 2000 point Allied assault (North)with a +10% handicap, CMBB, Combined Arms, July 42, variable rarity, 40+ turns. This gives the Russians 1386 points worth of armor. The Germans, a whopping 214 points. So basically, I needed to take the Russian Tanks out of the fight to even have a prayer. This still leaves the Russians with over 2000 points and had me down to about 1400, after the trenches, AT mines etc. In my opinion, this made it a more fair fight.
End state was that the Russians were stopped at the Gap. They had not brought any engineers and didn't want to try to force the gap. They had a T-34 immobilized in it and called it quits. They could have used massive area fire on it and then tried to push through, but didn't. They gave up and surrendered, (I would have given a CF).
What do you all think?
If you had to characterize my use of Roadblocks how would you rate it:
A: Gamey, come on you loser play fair.
B: A legitimate tactic which gave the beleagured German defenders a chance.
C: An expertly crafted masterpeice of planning and execution which resulted in an inevitable German Total Victory! Sheer Genius!

Lord Bane
02-11-2008, 04:41 AM,
Lord Bane Wrote:C: An expertly crafted masterpeice of planning and execution which resulted in an inevitable German Total Victory! Sheer Genius!

Right..:)
As Liz Taylor once said - "If the studio were dumb enough to offer me a million dollars to play 'Cleopatra', I certainly wasn't dumb enough to turn it down!"
Same with CM, if your opponent lets you buy unlimited stuff, you're not going to be dumb enough to refuse, and he'll no doubt thank you afterwards for teaching him such a valuable lesson..:)
02-11-2008, 04:45 AM,
Well most people know what I'd say: It's the Eastern Front - vicious battles to the death - and unless you and your opponent agree on specific parameters ahead of time, anything goes. Let me guess his next email, though: "How about a mirror battle of that?" he he
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
02-11-2008, 04:48 AM,
Why thank you POS for your vote of confidence. Funny, my opponent did thank me afterwards. You obviously have incredible powers of deduction.

Lord Bane
02-11-2008, 04:59 AM,
But as a big softie my conscience always forces me to discuss obstacle purchase limits and specific parameters with my oppo first..:)
02-11-2008, 05:15 AM,
LOL.. yeah I was that opponent and rightly got my ass handed to me. Alls fair in war I guess. I also thought I read somewhere that pioneers can take out roadblocks... I obviously confused them with minefields... Im such a doofus... LB I apologise for the misinformation... must be the painkillers Im on at present... !!
02-11-2008, 05:37 AM,
Bootie,
Absolutely no appologise necessary. I have been playing CM for several years and still learn little tricks from time to time. So when you suggested that Roadblocks could be removed, I didn't think it was unreasonable. Thanks
Lord Bane