• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Computer Dumping Memory
11-12-2008, 08:58 AM,
Computer Dumping Memory
Hi All,

This somewhat off-topic, but I was playing a pbem CMAK Op (BCM-Epsom) that was so large, I had to quit, as my computer started dumping memory, while crunching out a battle movie.

I've only experienced that one other time, when... just for kicks, I made a 6 Km X 6 Km battle map for a CMBB Static Op, and set up a Hot-seat battle for myself.
I think unlimited visibility on a Huge map with all the craters and foxholes (not to mention the 30k to 40k of points for units, just overloads my 3-year old Dell computer...

Interesting perhaps, in that, I've never hit "The Wall" with the all the other seemingly gigantic Ops I've played, such as NP-3, Monty's Gambit.

Anybody else ever "Hit the Wall" with monster Ops...?

Cheers,
Ken
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2008, 10:43 AM,
RE: Computer Dumping Memory
I just finished Epsom, the worst was when looking from one end of the map to the other, lengthways, zoomed out to 4, when I would try to scroll down the map, it would lag a little bit but as the terrain dissappeared behind my viewpoint it would speed up the scroll speed. I got so that I always scrolled around looking from about a 30deg angle to cut down on the amount of memory hog terrain and units that were on the screen.
11-12-2008, 10:56 AM,
RE: Computer Dumping Memory
Hi All,

I was in a pbem against Slade. We were on Day-2, Battle-2, when I hit the wall...
I thought I had a good enough system to handle most any Combat Mission scenario, but I'm going to have to scale back from Mega-Huge.

I played Emar's NP-3, Monty's Gambit, in a pbem, but that was an Advance Op, so the map view scrolled along with the advance (until Slade stuffed my Brits back down my throat, and I Cease-fired for a German Victory).

Salute,
Ken