• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

I can take the flag in ?? turns!!
11-20-2008, 08:21 AM,
I can take the flag in ?? turns!!
Here is a small challenge for those interested. The file below is a very small scenario. It is to be played blind as the Axis(you) against the Russians(game's AI). The object is to control the flag in as few turns as possible. When you figure you have accomplished this or have come as close as possible to this goal, post a pic or two and let us know with a short paragraph or two, what happened or did not happen in the game.To be fair to everyone, it should be played only once and not looked at in the editor before play. If this is interesting and has some good responses, I will try to get one of these out every month or so. The games will not be pretested too much, but I will try to make sure that the goal is attainable. Extreme FOG of WAR on and units are to be left in DEFAULT positions by you and the AI. Let's see how this goes, and which one of you has the moxie to take the flag in as short a time as possible.
Total point is 212 for the attacking Axis side. This is the side that you are to play. The enemy is a Russian force that has been bypassed by your main force and you are in charge of mopping them up with a small security force. The enemy has an AT gun, and about a platoon of infantry protecting a landline switchboard station. Your force is on the protected side of a low dyke that keeps a nearby river in check during high water. The enemy has some good sweeping LOS to most of the ground where your troops have held up, so be aware that you could come under enemy fire from the start.

Attached Files
.zip   Challenge1.zip (Size: 1.42 KB / Downloads: 17)
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2008, 09:30 AM,
RE: I can take the flag in ?? turns!!
*** Possible Spoilers ***

Tried it twice,
ran out of ammo both times, forcing auto ceasefire...

I would conclude friendly forces inadequate to take the flag.

If they had an infantry gun,
Or maybe 81mm Mortar,
Or tank support with a caliber higher then 37mm,
Then they could get it done...

But as it is now, the forces deployed cannot muster the fire support necessary to pin the enemy forces effectively.
11-20-2008, 10:20 AM,
I did not say that it is easy. This is my result on my second attempt, the first time i got the flag to go neutral, and If I did not have a damaged gun on the tank would have faired better. I did not use any pre-known knowledge and triggered the enemy by contact so no indirect fire before I had the enemy in full contact. This is the best that I can do during pre-testing.
[Image: proof.png]
11-20-2008, 01:26 PM,
Question: How do you actually know what turn you get the flag since there could be hidden units keeping it neutral?
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
11-20-2008, 02:06 PM,
The game's AI is not smart enough to keep the units hidden. I have played this now about 20 times and all but the AT gun expose themselves right away as soon as there is a target, and they do not move untill they lose possession of the flag, so it is easy to keep track of them. I think therefore that the game's flag ownership calculation will be pretty accurate. There is no way to sneak up close enough to get flag control without the AI opening up on your men from somewhere. You could always sit and do nothing for the remaining turns if you figure you've got it and see what the end result would be. In the pic that I posted above, I kept the other units and foxholes out of the picture so that nothing was given away, but there was no way that the AI had any chance in owning the flag.
11-21-2008, 01:45 AM,
I like the idea and will try the scenario tonight. Great way to stimulate interest, well done!
11-21-2008, 09:32 AM,
That was really hard! It auto cease-fired after abut a dozen turns and I got a tactical loss.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
11-21-2008, 02:35 PM,
I got the idea from reading a translation of the role of armoured infantry in a tactics book that I have. So I just used the Romanians to be different. I too, think that it is rather difficult but it can be done. It is good to know how to advance infantry under fire and the LMG team seems to be the key as to how the battle goes, get in some good flanking shots with your troops and these Russians fold up shop rather quickly.
11-23-2008, 04:59 AM,
Total Victory at Turn 8. I sent files to Ratzi in case he wants to post screen shots. Played once.
11-23-2008, 12:39 PM,
herroberst Wrote:Total Victory at Turn 8. I sent files to Ratzi in case he wants to post screen shots. Played once.

Woah - you need to let us know how you did that after this is over!