• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: What is your favorite recon unit?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Sniper
46.43%
13 46.43%
AT team
0%
0 0%
LMG team
28.57%
8 28.57%
1/2 squad
17.86%
5 17.86%
none of the above
7.14%
2 7.14%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What is your favorite recon unit?
09-07-2009, 01:55 PM,
What is your favorite recon unit?
Just wondering what everybody uses for recon - I prefer a vet sniper as they spot well, take out probing enemy tank commanders, and are hard for the enemy to see.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2009, 02:09 PM,
RE: What is your favorite recon unit?
I try to get a sniper for the role, but sometimes I forget. All my oppos forget your saw that. ;)
[Image: Tiger-Sig2.jpg]
Send this user an email
09-07-2009, 09:42 PM,
German: LMG due to affordable cost and at least a little bit of firepower. Snipers are better but more expensive.

Russians: early in the war almost any infantry battalion purchase gets you 9 AT rifle teams that have binoculars, presto you got recon units. Later in the war LMG teams.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal[Image: pzV.jpg]
09-07-2009, 11:30 PM,
Yeah the bad thing about snipers is if they run up against something while going through the woods, they are usually toast.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
09-07-2009, 11:37 PM,
For scouting purposes sniper is the best option,can spot enemy in some distance is difficult to be spotted and can deny the other side from scouting quite effectivelly ,if the other side dont use sniper for the same reason. :)
Do not believe what you think
09-08-2009, 12:52 AM,
Yes it's gott'a be Sniper, You have got fire power from a long distance, ( Where the F##K did that come from ) You can't always see them but they are there
REAL OPPONENTS SEE THE BATTLE OUT TO THE END, WINNING OR LOSING
09-08-2009, 02:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2009, 03:08 AM by Schwerpunkt.)
I would never just go forward with a single 2 man unit simply to spot the enemy.

Now for flank security. I think it can be none other than a LMG/BAR. Stick that little fella out there and WHAM, right when the flanking force starts to approach your woodline. The LP/OP is toast, but has accomplished the mission...all for the cost of 7 to 11 points.

If you like the sniper, bring him closer in so he can support the main drive and watch the flank as well. Can suppress, but what else? Plus you want him to snipe at AT gun crews, mortars and tank commanders. He is a much more valuable asset, a luxary, and can do more than the LMG.

Attached Files
.jpg   001.jpg (Size: 48.13 KB / Downloads: 15)
09-08-2009, 02:40 AM,
Vet or crack lmg team!
Much cheaper irt snipers!

owl
09-08-2009, 02:45 PM,
As Russians, I use the AT rifle team if I have any, as they are usually useless in their intended role! Otherwise I prefer a 1/2 squad. I can't say for sure, but I think they are a little more resilient than a sniper or LMG team. At least I can hope for a few turns of spotting/recon before the 1/2 squad is routed/eliminated compared to the sniper or LMG.
09-09-2009, 01:49 AM,
I'm surprised no one has picked the AT team - these guys can really play havoc with overly aggressive tanks in the early minutes when on the front lines...probably best for a short LOS battle...