• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Do you think you'll still play CMx1
05-16-2011, 01:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-16-2011, 01:59 PM by Splork.)
Do you think you'll still play CMx1
I'm curious - now that CM:BN is out (in demo form, anyway), do you think that spells the end of CMx1?
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2011, 03:42 PM,
RE: Do you think you'll still play CMx1
I dout if I will play it much , the new CM has so much detail that the old CM game fall short .
05-17-2011, 02:07 AM,
I haven't played CMx1 in over 2 years now. CMBN and its modules, along with the eastern front modules will keep me going for years. I also am seriously looking into Panzer Command Ostfront.
05-17-2011, 07:00 AM,
I suspect I'll play CM x1 as long as I can find opponents. Already bought PCO so I know I'll probably slowly shift over to it for East Front. But shoot, I still play good old CMBO once in a while just for kicks.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal[Image: pzV.jpg]
05-18-2011, 06:05 AM,
If things go well, I plan on switching over to Ostfront as well. May give CMN a shot, don't know yet.
05-18-2011, 08:05 AM,
Yes I am sure the older CM will survive it as been with us along time, I say let's play them all together
REAL OPPONENTS SEE THE BATTLE OUT TO THE END, WINNING OR LOSING
05-21-2011, 07:36 AM,
Ill be playing CMBB and CMAK for years to come. Ive tried Shock Force and CMBN and so far I havent "gotten it" yet...not that I wont in the future.

(05-16-2011, 01:56 PM)Splork Wrote: I'm curious - now that CM:BN is out (in demo form, anyway), do you think that spells the end of CMx1?
05-22-2011, 06:26 AM,
I am back to play new CM
CM1 is dead! after long and glorious life !
Hail to the new King !
Send this user an email
05-23-2011, 09:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-23-2011, 10:04 AM by Mad Baron.)
I will always play the original (and have a Probe QB game going right now)! CMBO was the best tactical-level wargame I'd played up to that time (I really loved the earlier Close Combat series for many reasons, including troops you carried forward to the next battle, etc., but wasn't real crazy about real-time play, and only the overhead view it offered).

CMBO is nice in that when you need to re-install it, no patches are needed. My only (slight) complaints were with the flat terrain features (wheat, rubble, rocks, rough). But I grew up on board wargames before there were computers or video games, and I easily accepted this. My only real complaint up to now is the flat wheat appearance; I still don't know what months the wheat is still growing, at least offering concealment but no cover, and what months the wheat is considered harvested (or flat) offering little or nothing to cover or concealment.

In short, CMBO doesn't offer state-of-the-art graphics...but it is still a heck of a game, and would still be King if CMBB and CMAK hadn't come along!

cheers
I also like the additional elevation views that BB and AK offer when viewing the map. When I play CMBO, I try for a higher elevation and it jumps to the overhead view...haha. And I say to myself, Oh, right, not that many levels offered with BO. :cheeky:
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
05-27-2011, 03:37 AM,
Nope, CMBO hasn't seen the light of day since CMBB & CMAK. With CMBN out and looking as beautiful as it is, CMBB & CMAK shall now be retired with honors.