• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Opinions please on this game result
07-28-2012, 06:05 AM,
Feedback Needed  Opinions please on this game result
I just finished a really boring CMAK meeting engagement (my setup and map too!!) and the outcome was not what I expected. The fighting was not heavy and losses were minor with the flag neutral at game end. At game end I had an entire company around the flag, had lost 100 more men (about 175 - 75) and 3 more tanks (5-2) (stugs) then my opponent. My opponent had a tank and a couple of squads within range of the flag at game end to negate the point value. The result was a major loss for my side, I was expecting a draw. I spoke with my opponent and he said a draw is fine but I also don't want to cheat my opponent out of a win either.

Do you think we should report the game as a draw or MV? It just seems weird to me that 100 men and 3 tanks would take the game from a draw to a major loss for me.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2012, 07:13 AM,
RE: Opinions please on this game result
What was the per cent for each of you? And how mnay points total was it? I would report it according to what CM says. That's just me though. I've had it happen to me lots of times too, but there must be some calculation being done to warrant the loss...

(07-28-2012, 06:05 AM)Weasel Wrote: I just finished a really boring CMAK meeting engagement (my setup and map too!!) and the outcome was not what I expected. The fighting was not heavy and losses were minor with the flag neutral at game end. At game end I had an entire company around the flag, had lost 100 more men (about 175 - 75) and 3 more tanks (5-2) (stugs) then my opponent. My opponent had a tank and a couple of squads within range of the flag at game end to negate the point value. The result was a major loss for my side, I was expecting a draw. I spoke with my opponent and he said a draw is fine but I also don't want to cheat my opponent out of a win either.

Do you think we should report the game as a draw or MV? It just seems weird to me that 100 men and 3 tanks would take the game from a draw to a major loss for me.

07-29-2012, 02:17 AM,
My opinion, is the result sounds correct. If the flags are neutral, the points will come down to the material lost. It looks like you lost more than double the enemy, so that is how the victory is rated.

And in general, I would say that every club game played should be reported as announced at the game end. We have the chess type scoring, so there really is no reason why any player, veteran or new, should not report a game.

You may want to reverse sides and play again. One thing that can be improved in the club is to have a single result for 2 games where the opponents have swapped sides - then there is no reason not to play unbalanced scenarios. Currently you need to report 2 games for mirrors, so you cant have a winning streak when playing unbalanced scenarios (but the scoring is still valid).

(07-28-2012, 06:05 AM)Weasel Wrote: I just finished a really boring CMAK meeting engagement (my setup and map too!!) and the outcome was not what I expected. The fighting was not heavy and losses were minor with the flag neutral at game end. At game end I had an entire company around the flag, had lost 100 more men (about 175 - 75) and 3 more tanks (5-2) (stugs) then my opponent. My opponent had a tank and a couple of squads within range of the flag at game end to negate the point value. The result was a major loss for my side, I was expecting a draw. I spoke with my opponent and he said a draw is fine but I also don't want to cheat my opponent out of a win either.

07-29-2012, 07:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2012, 07:23 AM by Weasel.)
It was a 3K game. While I agree it was a 2-1 loss in material that is also like saying I lost 40 men and you lost 20. This leads me to look at CM a lot like how Steel Panthers use to be, you could ignore the flags and just set up in ambush and win in material alone which led flags to mean nothing (and thus the creation of SP SCORE where flags and losses equal a score).

Thanks for the replies.
(07-29-2012, 02:17 AM)ekrommen Wrote: You may want to reverse sides and play again.

Oh no, like I said, it was a horrible ME game, if it were a scenario I would rate it a 1.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
07-29-2012, 10:48 PM,
I have the occasional puzzling result from time to time, sometimes in my opponent's favor and sometimes in mine. One game in particular I was sure I had at least a Tactical Victory coming and the game scored it a Draw. Who knows......

I usually just accept the game result and score it as it ended.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal[Image: pzV.jpg]
07-30-2012, 02:52 AM,
If the game said it was a major loss then it should be reported as a major loss. You can never be certain with CM till the endscreen...

Besides, your opponent had a tank and a couple of squads near the flag. That's plenty, sometimes just one, 'good order' inf.squad is enough to rob you the flag ownership. Of course the exact rules are unknown, but I think one hidden, unbroken inf. squad having ammo left is always enough to cost you a flag.
07-30-2012, 08:19 AM,
I'd have to agree that it wouldn't be a Draw, even with a neutral flag, because men and equipment losses were lop-sided enough to mean your opponent won on points. It sounds more like a Tactical Loss to me, but who knows, just a few percentage points difference may have just barely bumped it up to the Major Loss scale.

I've had final results that I disagreed with before. One old game comes to mind. A game-deciding flag went to my opponent who had an infantry squad inside a small building, while I had some sort of operational tank just 40-50 meters away, in sight of the building. I felt the variable ending should have kept the game alive a few more turns since I posed a real threat, but the game ended suddenly, and he got the game-winning flag there. I had to accept the loss -- the game engine is the official referee after all.
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
08-02-2012, 03:28 AM,
I reported is as a ML for me, I don't agree with it but I didn't want to screw my opponent. Man that was such a crappy game (entertainment wise), the worst I have played yet.
08-02-2012, 07:00 AM,
I think if one starts second-guessing CM, it would drive you crazy eventually! It has its foibles, but I think we'll get strange results in our favour just as often as not...

(08-02-2012, 03:28 AM)Weasel Wrote: I reported is as a ML for me, I don't agree with it but I didn't want to screw my opponent. Man that was such a crappy game (entertainment wise), the worst I have played yet.