• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Interesting behavior
02-26-2007, 06:32 AM,
RE: ����Interesting behavior
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2007, 02:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-26-2007, 02:52 PM by Mad Russian.)
RE: Interesting behavior
Colonel Talvela Wrote:
The Coil Wrote:IIRC, having enemies between your men and the friendly map edge ups the chance of surrender. So if the map edges are set up wrong, your men flee in the wrong direction and surrender way more quickly.

I have never heard that before. You sure about that?

No question about it. The setup zones are independant of the friendly map sides. I can make any side friendly, or no side at all.

The default for both CMBB and CMAK is West Axis and East Allied.

Which can get a bit interesting in CMAK since the Allies are usually on the West and the Germans on the East. Sounds like the designer just didn't set them or set them wrong. I have found that mistake more than a few times in my own work and it's easy to do. Playtesting usually catches that one early.

I have seen units taking fire break much more quickly if it comes from more than one direction. Also, the way to get a unit to surrender is to have enemy troops on more than one side. Otherwise they just run away from the closest enemy unit and keep moving until they are shot down.

Good Hunting.

MR
02-26-2007, 03:39 PM,
RE: Interesting behavior
MR - I think the only thing CT was questioning was my sort of shaky assertion that having enemies between a unit and the friendly map edge makes them more likely to surrender.

It's sort of incidentally true, in that, as you state, a fleeing unit is likely to run into that enemy, which makes him more likely to surrender. However, I think it's probably not true that the simple presence of an enemy between a unit and the map edge results in some sort of increased surrender chance in and of itself.

Maybe this is obvious, but picture: Unit A is 1000m from the friendly edge, enemy Unit B 750m behind that unit, not shooting at unit A. Probably has no effect on the unit A, thus "an enemy between your unit and the friendly map edge makes it more likely to surrender" isn't strictly true. Nitpicky semantics I know, but there you have it. What I think is indisputable, as you state, is that fire from multiple directions or the back breaks units quicker, and if they are surrounded, are unable to flee and break contact, thus end up surrendering more often.