• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Stupid things I have done...
09-21-2007, 12:12 AM,
RE: Stupid things I have done...
Falling for the tactic whereby opponents sssllllloooowwwwlllllyyy engage, letting me overrun the objectives but then sniping my armor and vehicles, and then doing away with my infantry. I seem slow to recognize this tactic and counter it. Coil moved a platoon plus of infantry into a woods and I didn't see a thing and when I surged an M-8, bazooka team, and flamethrower into the woods to attack an SP gun there in the flank, they were annihilated.

Another one was thinking that I could move my two platoons of T-34 over a ridge and into cover before the oppoents platoon of PzIVs and marders could engage it... total annihilation.
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2007, 06:57 AM,
Oh yeah, I've done that one....the old "we'll be so fast there's no way they'll get a shot off!" routine.

Also firing at a target way ahead but instead hitting a crest line close to my gun, knocking out my own Bren carrier. Or threading the path of a 150mm infantry gun through my own occupied buildings to hit an enemy target....blithely ignoring the well demostrated inaccuracy of the big guns, which was demonstrated graphically once again with a demolished friendly building and ten infantry casualties to "friendly" fire.
09-21-2007, 02:03 PM,
herroberst Wrote:Falling for the tactic whereby opponents sssllllloooowwwwlllllyyy engage, letting me overrun the objectives but then sniping my armor and vehicles, and then doing away with my infantry. I seem slow to recognize this tactic and counter it. Coil moved a platoon plus of infantry into a woods and I didn't see a thing and when I surged an M-8, bazooka team, and flamethrower into the woods to attack an SP gun there in the flank, they were annihilated.

That makes me sound way craftier than I am. What's really happened is I've staggered around in confusion behind a ridge line for twenty turns because Mr. Random Flag Placer put the flags on the wrong side, so every time I peek over the ridge my boys get waxed. The above mentioned annihilation was more a result of 3 seperate elements of my force being out of place in a way that strangely worked for me. When you surprise your opponent with forces in odd places, it's usually because your forces are in odd places... ;)

Another stupid thing I do:
With arty with large delays, I usually target where I think I might need it, long before I need it, in order to run down the timer, and just keep adjusting the target to keep the timer from running down too far....then when I need it, I can adjust and fire much quicker. Routine bit of cleverness, nothing real tricky there. What makes it stupid is that I just as routinely forget the target is plotted, and end up firing half the module because I let the timer hit zero. Even stupider, I often think something along the lines of "why did my opponent drop arty there?", before realizing it's my own precious large cal arty, wasted away again. Hard to believe I've ever won a game, I know...
09-21-2007, 02:06 PM,
wigam Wrote:Mine is very recent. I am playing Rico in a domination games and on my last turn i turned around the map trying to correctly put a tank into a hull down position and looked at from the Axis side.
I forgot i was looking at it from the wrong way round and started him reversing to what i thought was back into allied lines.

On watching the replay i understood rico's question.

"Did we see this right... was one of your tanks reversing towards us???"

My poor old tank was fried from a shot by a PZ-IV. :hissy:

And there was me thinking that the armour is toughest at the rear.

I've always wanted to try setting a covered arc on a Tiger so the turret faces the enemy, then backing it towards him. That way, when your opponent tries to get behind you for a rear shot, he'll be shooting at the front!

Brilliant, aren't I?
09-22-2007, 12:49 AM,
The Coil Wrote:Hard to believe I've ever won a game, I know...

So you are saying you have won a game?

I thought the draw with Dave was the closest you've gotten to a win.

Oh well, I learn something new everyday.

; )

Cheers!

Leto
09-22-2007, 01:04 AM,
@hirr@Leto Wrote:
The Coil Wrote:Hard to believe I've ever won a game, I know...

So you are saying you have won a game?

I thought the draw with Dave was the closest you've gotten to a win.

Oh well, I learn something new everyday.

; )

Cheers!

Leto

Hey, Dave and I were once tied for the ladder lead, I'll have you know. You can't do that without winning a game or two. Granted, most of my wins came from registering under 2 names and then playing against myself, but still, they were wins...
09-22-2007, 06:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-22-2007, 06:55 AM by Jobu88.)
Gave my German 81mm mortar spotter a fire order just to get his clock running, with the intention of then being able to adjust it onto target very quickly once he got down near zero. Since I wanted to be sure of seeing the spotting round, I targeted a spot well out in the open in no-man's land. Then I promptly forgot that I had issued him a target order, and for the next three turns I wondered why the hell my opponent was shelling a helpless wheatfield. Glad to see I'm not the only idiot to have done that.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal[Image: pzV.jpg]
09-22-2007, 11:52 AM,
After separating the units for a fairly large combat into their platoons and companies, forgetting to deploy them in the setup phase. A company of infantry crammed as far back in the corner as possible, especially when it is the friendly corner is furthest from where you planned to attack (and placed the rest of your force) does you no good, espcecially when the enemy have a valley with a wonderful field of fire between you and the rest of your troops. I have done this more than once.