• Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Gamey?
02-01-2007, 06:00 AM,
RE: Gamey?
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2007, 06:14 AM,
I think that if you have a particular bug-a-boo issue, e.g. ATG's with no prime mover in ME's, you should address that up front with your opponent, i.e. I will play you a game or two but I would like... etc. Caveat Emptor I suppose applies if you do not bring it up before battle starts. My particular dislike is QBs with new opponents that pick me as allies, them as axis, flat terrain, and they have battalions of panthers and tigers to contend with... my fault for not stating a terrain and OB preference. We all have a vote and do not have to replay folks that aren't fun.:soap:

Plastering assembly areas happened all the time in the war so that I think needs pre-discussion before game start. I happily report that I used this tactic in Prelude to Caen against Ken (three salvo's of 240mm rockets) and he is being a good sport about it which makes me want to play more games with him in future... despite the fact that I can see at least five smoke pyres in the distance ;)

Being a good sport is the key. Heck, if I'm playing a new guy I will sometimes tell him what I'm doing to nudge him to consider things... other times new guys kick my butt so I am less forthcoming :)

Cheers, herroberst
02-01-2007, 06:14 AM,
Picking a bunch of conscript unarmed jeeps and driving them down roads to see how many arcs of fire they trip is gamey, although Fridericus used to argue that these were standard German tactics. I wonder if there was a shortage of Kubelwagon driver volunteers in WWII?
02-01-2007, 06:19 AM,
Thats OK... the British used to send guys forward on bicycles...!
02-01-2007, 06:25 AM,
RE:��Gamey?
Bootie Wrote:Thats OK... the British used to send guys forward on bicycles...!

Did they figure into this tactic that the Jerries would be laughing too hard to actually fire upon the cheery pedaling Brits?

I suspect that galloping forth knocking two coconuts together would thus have been a more efficacious tactic.

; )

Leto
02-01-2007, 06:33 AM,
We all decry the apparent uselessness of reconnaissance vehicles in CM but it's just the game engine. In the real thing small quiet vehicles were the best thing for motor reconnaissance but when you try it in CM they don't seem to last too long. I am having some success bounding them from cover to cover or trying to, that way they discover positions and take cover before a bead can be drawn, course when your kublewagen pulls up behind a house full of Russian SMGs it doesn't work out so well :)

I normally set my troops to hide when I get them in position or they are already in position just so they don't give away their position. Flax likes to motor forward with jeeps and dump off MGs to slow my advance but I don't hold it against him, I just try to prep for it... like using advance T-70s to shoot up his jeeps... was working great until three Stugs topped the rise:smg:
02-01-2007, 06:58 AM,
[hirr Wrote:Leto]
I suspect that galloping forth knocking two coconuts together would thus have been a more efficacious tactic.

Ah The Holy Grail... LOL

I got the complete Monty Python boxed set last Xmas ad was watching it when my wife commented.... 'Why didnt they just use real horses'.... she just didnt get it.

:rolleyes:
02-01-2007, 07:49 AM,
Sticky that link someone it's a good reference for discussing ROE before the match.
02-01-2007, 07:58 AM,
I admit I've scouted and attacked with crews... but only because they wanted revenge!!!
02-01-2007, 08:48 AM,
To me, "gamey" usually means taking advantage of limitations or idiosyncrasies of the game engine for unintended advantages. Luckily I don't think that CM, on the whole, has a lot of gameyness issues. And most of them are fairly minor or have some sort of counter.

For example, running down the map edge to have a secure flank is, in my opinion, a little gamey since you are relying on a limitation of the game, the finite size of the map, to gain an advantage you probably wouldn't happed in real life. On the flipside, of course, is the limitation that a lot of maps, random QB maps in particular, are not set up to permit realistic manuever on the attack without getting near the map edge. So in the end, I don't complain about it and make sure I have some guns/artillery/etc. that can cover the map edge if my opponent tries it.

I consider things like ahistorical play (whatever that means),force selection (would a US army unit really have a bunch of conscript mortar FOs), force usage (scouting with ATRs),etc. as something separate from "gamey". Call it playing style.

Overall, I try to avoid doing what I consider "gamey" and try to discuss playing style issues with my opponent beforehand. But overall, I really don't have many ROEs/house rules for CM at all.