• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Red Orchestra ?
10-08-2008, 09:48 AM,
Red Orchestra ?
Anybody own / play the game Red Orchestra? If so, can you give a review of its good and bad features?
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal[Image: pzV.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2008, 08:00 PM,
RE: Red Orchestra ?
Yes I've played RO. It's a good game, although looking a little long in the tooth now compared to some other FPS.

Good points;

- well it's got vehicles, (which straight away gives it a plus over thing such as COD4!)
- combat is fairly hardcore in so much as you have to lead your targets and allow for fall of shot over distance, and yes 1 shot kills

Not so good points;
- the landscape isn't destructable, e.g. you can't drive throuhg a wooden fence with your Tiger!! (most annoying)
- no single player campaign, you can practice against the AI but it's designed as MMO only
- the built in 'talk' commands are in German and Russian, which although realistic is a right pain when your team mates haven't got a mic set up and are trying to give you instructions, (yes I could learn, but listening for instuctions in the heat of battle is one thing, but having to then translate them means the difference between life & death - and it was normally death in my case)

For combined arms MMO WWII games out there it's very good, and I still don't think that's there's anything around to compare to it at the moment.
10-09-2008, 02:35 AM,
Kelen summed up the game well. I used to enjoy COD (not 4) especially with mods installed but RO is much more realistic. When I play it, I'm usually the first to get shot! :(
10-11-2008, 10:54 AM,
I played RO competitively since the UT version of it. I am over the game now due to the fact that they haven't updated it...I think the game has hit a ceiling. I am a huge fan of it, but I am somber over the whole damn thing..
10-11-2008, 11:25 PM,
How about Armed Assault? Any other games in the FPS style that you can recommend?

Also do any Combat Mission players play FPS games?
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal[Image: pzV.jpg]
10-12-2008, 12:02 AM,
I thought call of duty 2 was fun for a switch...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
10-14-2008, 03:44 AM,
Armed Assault is great, get in with the game, and find the right group. I am a ShackTac member and the MP on saturday afternoons are amazing. Sadly its not WW2, but its still fun.
10-14-2008, 04:03 AM,
I purchased RO (only $19.99) and I must say, it doesn't do it for me. Will try Armed Assault.
12-01-2008, 12:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2008, 12:20 PM by Jobu88.)
This is a personal endorsement for anyone who's been thinking about getting Call of Duty 5 World at War for their PC. It rocks. And in general I do not play shooter games since I'm too old to keep up with the kids. Very entertaining single player, and multi-player online (for free, by the way) is a hoot. You alternate playing a US Marine and a Soviet infantryman in single player. Multiplayer is either German v. Russian or USMC v. Japanese.

I will also endorse Call of Duty 4, with the stipulation that I play only on a server that prohibits the usual run-n-gun tactics that the kids use.

Blood Brigade http://www.bloodbrigade.net/bb/

They enforce walking in a crouch or with the sight up ( no running) and they also ban the special magic abilities that are available in the game. Very entertaining. I haven't played shooter games in nearly a decade, but I love these two.
12-01-2008, 01:36 PM,
Yeah I was thinking about getting COD World at war - looks pretty cool. One weird thing I read read though is that you can shoot Nazi zombies??
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift